Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 09:25 PM

I thought we might be having a different definition of biting.

Oh, and just to explain what I meant about you probably having to change your actions, instead of Lido's owner... there was a People's Court case a few days ago (I admit, it's a guilty pleasure of mine!). A 12-year-old girl was walking her dog home from the park, when a dog came out of its yard, attacked her dog, and wound up doing some serious damage. The girl didn't let go of the leash, and wound up with some cuts from it getting wrapped around her. The dog owner's attitude, even after being ordered to pay nearly 4000 dollars, was that it was 100% the girl's fault. After all, she had been told that their dog was "very territorial", and she should have known better than to walk her dog down the public street in that area. This, after admitting that their "very territorial" dog had gotten out of their yard on multiple occasions, and that there was a kid in the neighborhood that would tease the dog and open the gate. And you know what... I probably would avoid taking my dog down that street if I could. Because I doubt that that judgement changed her mind any, and I wouldn't put it past the owner to let the dog out deliberately to attack mine if she saw me out there. And if she did do better at confining the dog, it's only because she doesn't want to pay more money, not because she thinks that she was wrong.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 10:03 PM

That's really awful. Someone should stick her in jail.

At the very least, she also should have been required to put up additional fencing.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 11, 2008, 07:50 AM

So, it's a social thing really, not a place where one WALKS their dogs and happens upon other dogs and their owners... k, I understand.

In this case, I think you should probably go to the area where the smaller dogs are so you can still socialize your baby but w/ a calmer scenario. This way your dog won't have the kind of rough play that you don't like or want.

Sounds to me like you are really concerned about that Pitbull... maybe you should post your concerns so we all can address it and help you out...
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks sweetdee. I should have mentioned that there are only 2 dogs that use the smaller fenced in area, and they're there because they're not good with other dogs.

My concerns about libo are these (just as a reminder, he's about a week or two older than my puppy, about 5 1/2 months old):

He is on top of my dog 100% of the time they're in the same place. My pup lies on his back, totally belly up, while libo stands on top of him, pulling his furry cheeks, ears, legs, everything, with his teeth. Every now and then he will give a yelp because he's being bit too hard. If my dog manages to get out from under him, he runs away at full speed, and libo chases him straight down and starts his domination all over again. In the meantime, my very furry puppy is also getting filthy with dirt and covered in burrs. This is what happens every single time, the whole time.

I let it go for a bit to see if it would play itself out, but in the 4 times they've "played" together, it hasn't gotten any better. The owner knows what's going on, and she knows that I'm not at all happy with it, and frankly that I'm concerned about this, but she just carries on with her conversations with other people like it's nothing. So when it has been enough "playing," I intervene, trying to separate the dogs, and she doesn't do anything unless I'm repeatedly yelling "signora, signora."

My pup is *not* going to have another chance encounter with libo, period. One thing that stumps me (well, he likes to play), is that if they are being separated, he still wants to go back to "playing."

So, that's basically it. Do tell, sweetdee, what does your trainerly doggy experience tell you about this?
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 02:22 PM

IF your puppy wants to go back... that is a pretty good indication that they are playing. This gets to be a difficult situation, because, given that information, you may be over-reacting. Let me ask you... if it were a lab puppy doing this to yours, would you still feel the same way about the situation? In other words, think long and hard about whether it's the actual situation that is bothering you, or is it the fact that the other dog is a pitbull? If you wouldn't stop the lab puppy, then you really should just step back and keep a watchful eye on the situation.
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2008, 06:40 PM

I'm positive that I would feel the same way about a lab. It's intense. Other owners have told me that it's over the line play. That's where I am. Others have told me to let them do whatever they want. One woman proudly showed me a scar left on her dog from when he was a puppy and another dog "played rough" with him. I don't need scars on my dog or a bloody trip to the vet. Libo is a mixed breed dog; he looks like part pit bull, part boxer. In any case, my gut is telling me that it's too much. I gave it a chance on 4 different occasions. Didn't get any better. My pup rough and tumbles with other friendly puppies, and it's a totally different vibe. That kind of play is good for them. In any case, I see libo's kind of "play" as an unnecessary risk I'm not comfortable with.
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2008, 08:47 AM

Do any of the other owners have small dogs? You might ask them if they would be willing to let your pups play together in the small pen away from the bigger dogs.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 13, 2008, 08:56 AM

Linnealand, my trainerly doggy experience (lmaoooooo!) tells me to tell you to listen to your gut.

Your dog is having fun but it's a little out of control. Pups need NOT have any bad experiences, like a bloody visit to a vet when they are babies. It's not necessary...

I feel that the Pitt pup's owner is not acting responsibly in this situation. She needed to start the training on her dog the second the dog was in her possession. This dog needs to learn not to bite other dogs or people from a very very early age. Pitts need to be raised chewing and playing w/ toys... not other pups, at least not as rough as it is. Where's the control and input of the dog owner while he's rough housing as hard as he is w/ your puppy? The way the canine baby plays is directly related to the way they learn to socialize...

Honestly, I wish I could be there WITH you while we bring our dogs for a day in the park so I can politely say, "As adorable as your dog is and as much as my friends pup is enjoying the play...would you mind watching how rough your Pit is playing? After all...don't they learn doggy ettiquet by playing?"... IT WOULD BE MY PLEASURE to open my mouth.

Having said that, I do enjoy a good confrontation when it comes to this sort of thing... most people do not, (I wish I didn't like to be so forthcoming!). I understand if you'd rather just avoid the whole situation and just not go to this park anymore.

How about keeping your dog on a leash while you are there... all the while letting your pup play in a controlled space, (due to the bounderies of the leash). When her Pitt comes barreling toward your dog to play you can say to her, "I'm training my dog to play gently today on this lead, would you mind keeping your dog in a calmer state so things don't get as rough?"... Would that be considered too much of a confrontation? (I really am not sure.. lol!).

Most people would tell you to just move on to another dog park... I suppose. I just don't feel like YOU should be the one to have to go, quite frankly.

Just a word or two might do the trick, after all I am SURE that if you were not there w/ your baby to be played w/ by this Pitt pup, wouldn't the same thing be happening to another person's dog? Maybe a few days away from the park is the answer... let this Pitt chew on another dog for a while... then when you return you can say something polite about keeping her pup calmer in a "play"... no? LOL!
    rver Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 11:57 AM

What was the question?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 09:38 AM

I do not think getting a license to own a dog would solve anything.
    If the person has a criminal record then maybe they should have to go through extra hoops to get one though.
    I do think that if your dog is in question about his temperament then it should be required to have your dog evaluated. Also vets should be able to tell if you have a potentially vicious dog.
    Banning dangerous breeds is definitely not the answer.
    My pit bulls are the most lovable dogs in the world and do not have a mean bone in their body. I think they would lick a burglar to death at worst.

This is the list of most dangerous breeds communities and states are trying to ban. Which one will be #11, #12, #13,.

Top Ten (10) Most Dangerous Dog Breeds | Pets Do
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Dec 20, 2008, 03:39 AM

I really don't understand how they put huskies at number 4, yet they are contridicting themselves when they say, they are not good guard dogs because of their gentle temperament, they are so contridicting themselves. A dog is what their owner makes them, I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are no bad dogs only bad owners.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2008, 03:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    A dog is what their owner makes them, I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are no bad dogs only bad owners.
    I agree 200% that is why my pits are nicknamed lovable!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Furnice Won't Blow Hot Air [ 6 Answers ]

I just turned on the furnace as the cold weather started and I have NO HOT air. All I get is cool air coming through the vents. The fan works - just not the heat. I crawled under the house to "light the pilot" which is supposedly a self lighting light - pushed and held the red button - but...

Did I Blow It ? [ 2 Answers ]

A few weeks ago I met this girl who was an acquaintance who is new to the area but I messed things up. A few weeks ago I bought something from a website she has where she sells handmade products but she didn't know that it was me who was. Eventually though I told who I was and she had figured it...

Furnace won't blow out air [ 2 Answers ]

My furnace acts like it's going to kick on but the blower never starts up. The furnace is only about three years old and specifically for a mobile home. What could it be?

Blow out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier heating & air conditioning unit . This is the first time we have tried to use it this fall. When the unit tries to light it blows out the pilot and doesn't light. Usually with a big woof.. sometime its lights but usually doesn't.:rolleyes: please help

View more questions Search