Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dyanna1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Getting him to sign his rights over
    How can I go about getting my daughters father to sign his rights over he doesn't have anything to do with her? The guy I am with now wants to adopt her he has always been there for her.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 1, 2008, 05:53 AM

First, you need to marry the guy you are now with. Most area will want to see you legally married before they agree to the adoption.

Next you consult an attorney to draw up the adoption papers. This attorney will handle getting a TPR on the father.

However, if the father refuses to agree to a TPR, there is little you can do to force him. You can and should try to get support from him, that may induce him to agree since the adoption would end any support.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 1, 2008, 08:18 PM
    I agree with Scott... first, you'll need to marry your current boyfriend in order for him to adopt.

You'll need the biological father to sign over his rights, and yes it can be difficult. For some reason, they have this "I don't want the kid, but no one else can have him/her either". Ridiculous...

My ex was the same. What I did to get him to sign over the rights is mentioned to him that he would no longer have to pay over $600 in child support if he signs over the rights. He thought about it for one day, then signed them over like that.

Good Luck,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2008, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by div2wice View Post
    . What I did to get him to sign over the rights is mentioned to him that he would no longer have to pay over $600 in child support if he signs over the rights. He thought about it for one day, then signed them over like that.

Good Luck,
    It's a shame that some parents need to be blackmailed to do the right thing for their child. But more often then not, that's the way a TPR is obtained.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

This guy wants to sign over his rights too [ 2 Answers ]

I have a daughter who is 6 yrs old.. the last time I saw her was when she was 3.. I pay my child support FIRMLY.. Her mother doesn't let me see her because she is now married and doesn't want problems... I have 2 more chiildren with my fiancé and it is hard to make money paying so much CS... Is...

He wants to sign over his rights [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old son who knows my fiancé as daddy and has for a year. His biological father has never wanted anything to do with him, wasn't there for the birth or birthdays, and has decided to not pay child support anymore, the only way he can do that is to sign over his rights. He gave me his...

Can he sign over rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and live in California and recently found out that I am pregnant. I am happy but my ex boyfriend is not. He is in the army and feels this baby and I will ruin his military career. He feels I am only keeping this baby so I can receive the benefits from the Army. He wants to sign...

Getting Him To Sign His Rights Over [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how I go about getting my ex to sign his rights over and whether I can have him forced to sign them. My ex husband is a danger to my children and I have had to have two protection orders filed against him and five warrants for harassment and I just filed another for...

View more questions Search