Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pamisue444 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Blades will not engage
    We have a 2003 Craftsman riding mower. The mower will start but you cannot engage the gears. Any help?
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Sep 30, 2008, 08:45 PM

You need to make sure that the belt that controls the blades is there and working. That would be the first thing that would usually go wrong.

If it is there and looks like it is in place try pulling up on the pedal while it is running and in gear and see if it engages then. If it does then maybe you can adjust the belt tensioner to get it to work. Otherwise you may have a stretched belt that needs replacing.

If pulling up on the pedal doesn't make it move then you will need someone to help you. While you are trying to make it move have someone watch underneath and see exactly what is happening. Is the belt moving, is the pulley on top of the rearend moving etc...

See what is happening and let us know. We can go from there.
    smokeylt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 09:31 PM

I could not engage my blades. I replaced the deck drive brake arm. It was bent and not allowing the idler pulley to engage.
    It could also be the clutch cable. I had to replace that after I broke it trying to force the blades into gear. If so try EBay. Don't pay manufacturers price.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mower Blades won't engage [ 2 Answers ]

When I pull the blade switch on my Craftsman 16.5 hp riding mower, nothing happens. I had this problem previously, and it was the PTO. Since that was a year ago, I really don't think it's that. Recently when the blades wouldn't engage, I checked/wiggled the wiring to the PTO, and the blades did...

Replaced belt, now blades won't engage [ 1 Answers ]

We replaced the belt on a 42in Craftsman mower. Pretty sure it on on correctly. Now when we try to engage the blades the amount of force we have to use seems wrong. Also even when the blades are not engages the belt is still spinning. 1. Is the belt still supposed to be moving even when the...

Blades won't engage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rally, made for Craftsman, model 18544B, 18.5 HP Briggs, 42 inch cut. I am told it was made byAYP. Blades have stopped engaging. I have replaced the PTO switch. Following the wires some lead to a plug in into the mower that is in the base of the frame on the right side, just above the...

MTD blades will not engage on riding mower [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Lowe's MTD mower. The blades will not engage.

View more questions Search