Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twdw1758 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2006, 04:14 PM
    Debt issue-what do you do first and then..
    I have read through all the chains and simply could not find a concise answer to my situation. My apologies if this is redundant somewhere.
    I have about 80k in unsecured debt, which is a result of losing my job a few months ago AND not spending within my means. I have learned the lesson of a lifetime!
    Question: when the lack of funds began, I did contact my creditors and tried to negotiate lower interest rates, payment plans, etc. To my surprise, no one wanted to help me even though I was trying to be proactive. Now 5 months have gone by, the creditors are getting more aggressive, and a few are sending letters documenting they will be writing off the debt; the effort could result in liens and or garnishments. If I cannot pay them right now, what do I do? Do I call each creditor and work something out even though so far they will not do anything unless I pay them something, do I allow it to go to arbitration and ride out the 7 years SOL. I am trying to get back on my feet. If garnishing wages occurs or any other type of lien, I will be in such hardship I would have to file for bankruptcy. This I would like to avoid.
    Please help..
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 04:42 PM
    How old are the debts?

Is the credit company whom is calling or a debt collector?

If Debt Collector do they represent the credit or themselves?
    twdw1758 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2006, 04:54 PM
    Hello.
    -The debt is about 6 months old (there are 5 creditors)
    -As of now, 4 are with the credit card company and 1 is with a debt collector, which has not phoned me; only written 2 letters. One of the credit card companies just sent me a letter stating they will be writing it off and going through the legal process to garnish or lien by May 25.
    -The debt collector letter states they represent the credit card company.
    Thank you.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 07:09 PM
    Something you said is inaccurate, and I wish to clarify it for you.

You said,

Quote Originally Posted by twdw1758
    do I allow it to go to arbitration and ride out the 7 years SOL.
    That is not exactly how it works. A SOL of 7 years means they have 7 years (or 6.5 yrs to go) to take legal action against you.

Once they get legal action against you, they will have a judgement. Then, they will have 20 years to collect the judgement (depending on where you live, most places 20 years).

SOL deals with how long they can file a motion to take you to court to get a judgement, but once they get the judgement, they then have much longer to collect it.

$80,000 in debt, perhaps bankruptcy is an option?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Hi,
    I do know that credit card companies are pursuing debt much more rigorously than in the past. They have lost a lot of money through "debt negoiations", and now with personal dept being much more, all across America, have stopped a lot of these negoiations.
    I do suggest seeing a lawyer, finding out which legal options are best for you. Best wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Online issue [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I recently ordered cable and internet services from Charter Communications and used online chat service in the process. It was a "Winter Bundle" and I was supposed to get the complete package installed free of charge. I am pasting a part of the transcript that was later sent to my...

Electrical issue [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: A schematic question -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am new to the community. I was wondering if someone could give me a little technical advice. My AC motor went out the other day. I went to buy a new one and the new one isn't...

Need help with possible fraud issue [ 2 Answers ]

Sort of a complicated matter, but here it goes. My fiancé and I are trying to buy a house. She has some of the typical stuff hanging out on her credit report that you expect after a divorce, and most of that is getting cleared up. One disturbing item, though, has vexed us. There is an account...

Issue from my past [ 4 Answers ]

I am very happily married, so this has nothing to do with a desire for another man, just so I am understood. But, I had a love years ago, we almost married. He was hiding an onset of schitzophrenia, we tried to work through it, but it was too much for him. He left one day. My husband feels he...

Is this a issue ? [ 7 Answers ]

PC : XP Pro Service pack 2 --------------------------- Start/Run <typed>MSCONFIG Looked in: Win.Ini Programs It shows: ;msconfig Luke.exe=C:\storage\calarkconnect iso\clarkconnect-2.1iso

View more questions Search