Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _SugarCookie_ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2006, 03:07 PM
    Puppies... *sigh*... just a pretty face
    Hello all! We need help. We got a puppy half teacup yorkie half shih tzu, she's about 4 months old... should she be house trained by now? Because she's not... At all. We live in an apartment, so we can't really take her out on grass, but we let her out on the balcony and hope she does her business out there. We even put her food and water bowl outside. Oh and she drinks so much water so she's like constantly peeing everywhere. All I can say is thank god for hardwood floors ;)

Another question, she has soooo much energy, so does she really need to go out for walks, is that enough exercise?

Also. She barks so much and so loud when we put her in her crate, And she eats and chews everything. She ruined a couple pairs of shoes. And every time I come home, there are tissue pieces all over the floor :eek:

Ok so she knows how to sit and lie down and to not eat her own poop but should she know how to do more by now? Should we take her to puppy school? Is she learning to slow for a 4 month old?

Last question, is she allowed to eat french fries?

I don't know what to do :( Help please!

Oh one last question I have another dog, a shih tzu. She's a perfect angel, I have no complaints about her whatsoever... except for she'll stare at you forever while you eat she'll follow whoever has food and just stare. It's annoying...

Thanks again.

p.s. sorry for all the questions :)
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 23, 2006, 05:43 PM
    I wasnt even sure if this was a real question since it has something of an unbelievability to it, but just in case its sincere, here goes:

Q: Hello all! We need help. We got a puppy half teacup yorkie half shih tzu, she's about 4 months old... should she be house trained by now?
    A: I don't mean to be rude but this is wide open to being asked - isnt the house training failure more a human error than a canine error?

Q: We live in an apartment, so we can't really take her out on grass, but we let her out on the balcony and hope she does her business out there. We even put her food and water bowl outside.
    A: Umm, this is beginning to sound bad here, since it is common sense that dogs do not like to "go" where they eat?

Q: Oh and she drinks so much water so she's like constantly peeing everywhere. all i can say is thank god for hardwood floors ;)
    A: Again, maybe you ought not have a puppy comes to mind now since it appears someone is really blowing the training?

Q: Another question, she has soooo much energy, so does she really need to go out for walks, is that enough exercise?
    A: She needs consistant training, adequate food, water, and exercise and lots of love and security.

Q: Also. she barks so much and so loud when we put her in her crate, And she eats and chews everything. She ruined a couple pairs of shoes. And everytime I come home, there are tissue pieces all over the floor
    A: Please reconsider owning her since its apparent you can't properly train.

Q: Ok so she knows how to sit and lie down and to not eat her own poop but should she know how to do more by now? should we take her to puppy school?
    A: Yes, please get a dog trainer involved asap, and prepare to be trained yourself too!

Q: Last question, is she allowed to eat french fries?
    A: I would not do it often if I did it at all!

Q: oh one last question I have another dog, a shih tzu. She's a perfect angel, I have no complaints about her whatsoever... except for she'll stare at you forever while you eat she'll follow whoever has food and just stare. It's annoying...
    A: Again, no disrespect but I believe you trained her to do that.
    Mustlovedogs Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Maybe try getting a good size wood box and put some sod in it so that you have a little grass on the balcony... And make sure her crate isn't oversized. Walking her is a must running her sounds like a good idea if she's very excited all the time. Make sure she has the right toys and maybe think about getting professional help on the training issue.
    Just a suggestion some dogs just aren't meant for apartment living they need a yard they can be in and run around in for periods. Just think if you were in her place. Would you want to be stuck in the apartment ALL day and just outside on a little patio?
    Good Luck
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 23, 2006, 09:03 PM
    If you have not done it yet, please ask around and invest in some good books for you to help guide you. There are several on the market specializing in breeds and the special care they need.

Good luck dear - and please do consider a trainer to help you out.

Pets reflect the owners they have. So, you must be very energetic and sometimes impatient.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 05:47 AM
    Hi, sugarcookie,
    Here is a suggestion:
    As a new puppy owner, I highly recommend a video by Ceaser Millan, a Professional Dog Behaviorist. He rehabilitates dogs, and trains people.

He has his own TV program, the Dog Whisperer, on the NGEO (National Geographic) channel, on Friday nights mainly, but also comes on some other days. This video is available from:
    Cesar Millan Center
    I also ordered his new book, "Ceaser's Way", from Walmart online, around $15 US, and it's very good!

There are other good videos available on the web, but this one is really worth your attention.

At 4 mo. Old, "yes", she should be housebroken by now. There are so many things you really need to know about raising a puppy. I do agree with the answer about buying yourself a book on raising puppies.

Also, here is a link about using a crate:
    How to Housebreak A Puppy
    Very good information, with info on crate use

You really need to take her for a good 45 min. brisk walk every day. There should be somewhere you can take her, maybe not on the grass near your apartment, but down some sidewalks somewhere. Take along a "poop" plastic bag, so you can scoop up the poop.
    Using a leash requires knowing how also. You really need a book on puppy care and raising. If not, then she will train you to do what she wants to do all the time. You have to train her to do what YOU want her to do. I do wish you the best.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 24, 2006, 09:46 AM
    HEY, FRED, GOT THE 'SPREAD IT MESSAGE' AGAIN.

That was a great site you found - thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hey this is pretty cool [ 5 Answers ]

This pretty cool I just stumbled into this site and see people just ask a question and somebody answers it. Well I guess I'd like to know what you guys see in my future, career, love life. Thanks a lot.

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

My pug puppies [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 six week old pug puppies that don't want to wean from there mother they cry for her so I was wondering do I keep them away from her all times or what.thanks

SIGH why should I even have a bank? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been working for years I am 20 but I can't seem to save any money every time I put money in the bank my bills seem to suck it back out it feels almost like my bank is a big safe "wallet" how can I get out of this way of life work to be broke is this the fate of just me or do other people feel...

Looking Pretty [ 4 Answers ]

I'm known as a geek in school b.c of my smarts.. and also the popular girls say I'm beautiful... I don't think so.. but everyone is jealous b.c of my looks but I don't dress to make myself pretty and I have brown hair layers and length is a little lower than my shoulders... n I have big dark red...

View more questions Search