Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Is a dirt sump pump hole safe, rather than a concrete hole?
    We moved into our house in May and have been doing lots of updating. One thing has been bothering me, because I don't know any better...
    Our sump pump sits in a dirt hole about 3 feet in diameter under the concrete floor. Is this safe? Is this really dirty?

I have noticed more bugs in this house and more dampness than my other homes and I'm wondering if this is why.

How do I solve the problem?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2008, 01:32 PM

You get a pre-molded sump pit with a cover.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 06:05 PM

As KISS says: get pre-fab bucket. Home Depot / Lowe's sell them in several sizes. Get grate cover as well.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 1, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aelp View Post
    We moved into our house in May and have been doing lots of updating. One thing has been bothering me, because I don't know any better...
    Our sump pump sits in a dirt hole about 3 feet in diameter under the concrete floor. Is this safe? Is this really dirty?

I have noticed more bugs in this house and more dampness than my other homes and I'm wondering if this is why.

How do I solve the problem?

Thanks!
    You'll get sewer flies, bad smells and dirt in the impeller cage if you don't set that pump in a sump pump basin,(see image).
    They run about $50 so you're not going to go broke installing one.
    Check them out at: Liberty Pumps Sump Pump Pit Kit - Sump Basin, Sump Cover and Hose Kit - Sump Pump and Cellar Drain Accessories made by Liberty Pumps - Dickson Supply's AccentShopping.Com 1-800-456-5267
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repairing access hole in concrete bathroom floor [ 2 Answers ]

To access the drain in a second floor bath I had to break a hole in 3" thick concrete slab which is under the tiling on the floor. The hole is 5"x12" and opens onto the hollow between the first floor ceiling and the bathroom floor. What would be the best way to patch this hole without preventing...

Hole in Pvc pipe in concrete [ 9 Answers ]

I recently drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the top side only of a 1 inch PVC water supply pipe that is buried in a concrete slab in close quarters. What is the best way to repair it? What are the options? Thank you. Giddy

The big hole [ 5 Answers ]

Scientists recently discovered a huge void in the universe where there is nothing not even background radiation how big is this hole try one billion light years across. I was interested in hearing what you guys have to say on the subject.:)

Draining a washing machine into a sump pump hole/well [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a washing machine in my furnace/water tank room but there is no easy drain path. However there's a drain hole/"well" dug in the concrete floor (about 1.25 cubic feet) with a sump pump in the well and there's constantly a small bit of water in this well which the pump actively...

Hole in my gum [ 1 Answers ]

A couple of months ago I had a tooth infection, and recently I have noticed a small gap in my tooth and the gum itself. I then took a small cotton bud and rubbed it against the hole and it had a funny smell to it. I do smoke and drink so do you think this is the problem for it? I can sometimes...

View more questions Search