Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

May 23, 2006, 01:25 PM
    Jobs in History
    Hi, I have a question about jobs in the field of history and apparently it didn't go through the first time I posted it here a little while ago. I also posted this under History because it pertains to both.

I graduated yesterday from Adelphi University with a Bachelors degree in History. Currently, the plan is for me to remain at Adelphi one more year to receive a Masters degree in Adolescent Education within the Scholars Teachers Education Program (STEP) at the school. However, the classes are at night, so that leaves me available during the day, with the exception of the 50 observation hours I will be doing in the fall.

I know the obvious answer to the question of what to do with all that time: Get a job. This is where my request for assistance comes in. It would probably be ideal for me to look for work as a teacher's aide or a substitute teacher or something of that nature. However, I do not feel personally ready to actually start in the field of education. Instead I would like to get more hands-on experience in the field of history. Would anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about finding a job doing historical research or something in the subject other than teaching? My specific interest is in American history, especially colonial times, slavery, and imperialism.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for your help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2006, 02:39 PM
    You have graduated with a BS or BA in History and if you don't feel ready to start teaching, I am doubtful that you ever will feel. Most teachers in the US anyway only have a Bachelors degree. ( did you do a student teaching assignment as part of your requirements to certify to be a teacher)

But on the other hand my sister in law has a Masters in History and she is a dress designer, my best friend from high school has a Masters in History and he works as a clerk at Radio Shack. So basically a job is a job if you are not working in the field of your choice. Some ideas, library, museum, and of course McDonads are always hiring.
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

May 23, 2006, 02:59 PM
    You asked me if I have done any student teaching yet. The answer is no. The program I am in doesn't have students even start observing in classrooms until senior year for those going for Adolescent Education. I am doing more observation in the fall and student teaching in the spring, after which I very well might feel more prepared to be in front of a classroom. I am not yet even certified to teach (and I probably should have explained all of this in my initial question).

I am not sure about a library but I will definitely think about your suggestion to find something in a museum. As for McDonald's, I spent about 3 1/2 years as a cashier at Burger King and would very much like to avoid going into that industry if at all possible.

I understand that just because my BA is in History does not necessarily require me to go into that field. However, I am not at the moment searching for a career, rather I am searching for a job until I start student teaching, when I will not have time for a job with that and my other graduate courses.

Thank you very much for your response and I would appreciate any other assistance anyone can give.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

Applying for Jobs [ 12 Answers ]

Hey Everyone, Well I'm applying for summer jobs at a bunch of fast-food restaurants that are highering. I just wanted to know how long does it normally take for them to call you back? Thanks!

Jobs [ 3 Answers ]

I was on a job for 4 years in October I had problems breathing and the doctor gave me 5 days off with an excuse the job would not except the excuse and counted it towards my attendance I was fired in February and two months later they found the cause a tumor in my head it was removed in July. My...

View more questions Search