Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CentralKentucky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2006, 11:47 AM
    Building sold and being tore down...
    I am asking this question on my friend's behalf who does not have internet access. Whenever I get new info I will update the questions.

In Feb. of 2006 my friend signed a year lease to end in feb of 2007. Last month the owners sold the aprtment building. The NEW owners have sent all tenents a letter stating: you have until July 31 to move out. You are expected to pay each months rent and will receive your deposit one week after you have vacated.

What we want to know is: aren't the new owners breaking her lease? Shouldn't they simply return the tenent's deposits and allow them to live rent free until July 31? We are going to check the lease to see if it states that if the building is sold then the lease will be transferred. If it does, then we know the answer. If not, what rights does she have?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 23, 2006, 12:08 PM
    I cannot find the particular KY law that applies, but typically the new owners are responsible to adhere to the leases.

Yes, you are wise to check the language of the lease, but this particular issue may not be addressed there.

If I were you I would "play dumb" and tell the new owner that you understand that they are responsible for adhering to the lease, and see how they respond. If they do not respond in your favor, I would root through the KY Landlord-Tenant Laws further (verbatum laws here; help guide here)

I might also give your state Attorney General a call to ask them about this. Be sure, though, to tell them it's a general question as they will not give you legal advice on a personal level.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2006, 02:42 PM
    Basically a new owner is normally obligated to follow the terms of any previous lease. If they did not ask and the old owner did not tell them, they may need to be informed in writing that you have a lease on your apartment till a certain date. And that you expect them to honor the legally binding document. If they wish to have you move out sooner, they may make an offer to buy out the remainding part of the lease.

And actually you should get all of the tennants if more than one in building, and get an attorney together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sold Debt [ 1 Answers ]

If a company that I owed a debt to sells it to another company or collection agency does the Statute of Limitations start over? If the debt is sold and the new company puts it on my credit report will that stay on my report for another 7 years? Thanks for any imput.

I think weed tore us apart.. [ 8 Answers ]

My ex is 19 and I'm 17 and we were together for what would have been a year on June 1st. We broke up a month ago today and it seems like all I want is for him to think of me too (not that I know if he does/doesn't). Our break-up was mutual because we were negatively affecting eachother. I was...

Building sold eviction [ 2 Answers ]

Last week my apatment building was sold. The next day I was given a 30 day notice to move. What leverage do I have in getting moving costs or compensation to avoid an unlawful detainer. The building is located in Torrance Ca. thanks for your help

A home we sold [ 3 Answers ]

During disclosures on a home we sold, the people that were purchasing our home asked about what was under the tile in one of the bathrooms, they were from a contracting background, He asked if it was “hardibacker” I wrote in a statement that I believed it might be hardibacker. After they purchased...

Okay, so I tore the crap out of my basement floor... [ 5 Answers ]

... to rough-in for the bathroom I'm putting in. my questions are this: 1) Do I have to use Cast or can I use PVC for the stuff I'm putting in? 2) With the layout and location of things, it's going to end up where my bathroom sink and wall will be directly over the main line in the floor. ...

View more questions Search