Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 03:43 AM
    The meaning of these words
    I was doing some more research on the breed of dog I want and I came across some words that when I type into Google its still not helping me figure out what they mean. The words are Mesophorme and Macrothalic. The sentences in the quotations is from the website

"Conformation of the body:

The proportion between the height and lengh is approximately 2/3 (unto the tail's insertion)

Type
    A mesophorme and macrothalic."
    jmbomm Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Sep 30, 2008, 05:36 AM
    The words are both complex and could possibly be loose translations/derivations from other languages. The prefixes are simple enough, "macro" meaning big/great(er/est) and "meso" meaning medium or intermediate. The word thallic seems to pertain to either the chemical element Thallium or to description about plant life. Reference.com claims that wikipeida says "macrothallic" refers to being big or thick in body, but the wikipedia article doesn't exist (and if it did, try never to trust wikipedia). Phorme is a suffix that I cannot find anything on, which includes university sources and a latin translator. It could be a typo or someone trying to use jargon that doesn't exist.

My suggestion would be to examine the tail itself and describe it. Is it thick? Long? Curved? And how so to all of these questions. That may point you in the right direction to finding out what it is that the author is trying to say.

Otherwise, if your source is a website (as opposed to a book) you can try to contact the author/webmaster about the term.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 08:36 AM

Thanks a bunch that helped a bit more. :D
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 1, 2008, 08:54 AM

I looked them up and they cannot be found in any dictionary... which leads me to believe that they are not words in their original meaning, like they are derivitives of words that are not spelled in it's original form. Hope that makes sense...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bad words [ 1 Answers ]

Why can rap artists say bad words on the radio and rock can not?

Just words, just speeches. [ 3 Answers ]

Was it really a surprise to anyone, that when the "chosen one" made his speech this morning, he has suddenly shifted his Rigid, No Off Shore or Domestic Drilling stance to the point that he now has dangled a tiny carrot by saying that "nothing is off the table" as to "limited" off shore drilling. ...

Key Words [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am creating a quiz-type program. A question will be asked and the user will enter the answer in the given box. However, some of the answers will require more than one word, and the user may explain it differently than I would. I was wondering if VB is able to search the answer written...

Have some of the words - need the song name [ 8 Answers ]

Was played occasionally in the Don Johnson TV series. Here are some of the words: "i can feel it coming in the night , Oh Lord" "and I've been waiting all my life, Oh Lord" Thanks, :D stardust2000

In 5 Words or less: What are you? [ 145 Answers ]

I'm just curious. I know a few of you but not many. I'm not looking for debate or comment, just wondering... Me: Ecumenical Evangelical Roman Catholic Christian

View more questions Search