Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    litigate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Business being sued in small claims
    PLEASE HELP...

I use to own a business and am being sued in small claims... but we are no longer doing business(company closed) can I still be sued even thought we are no longer in business
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2008, 11:56 AM

Yes. But your liability depends on the type of business and how it was closed.

Can you provide more details about the business and the nature of the suit?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 12:49 PM

If you were a individual owned business than you will be personal liable for the debts and they can collect from your personal money.

If you were a corporation then if you closed it properly your personal money may be safe ( should be)
    traceyrco Posts: 62, Reputation: -5
    -

Oct 3, 2008, 08:47 PM

Ouch! However, being small claims you have a good shot at defending yourself - unless you are in the wrong. In that case - it's better to try to settle this out of court or go to court and hope that the judge will go easy on you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by litigate View Post
    PLEASE HELP......

I use to own a business and am being sued in small claims..... but we are no longer doing business(company closed) can i still be sued even thought we are no longer in business

As others have said - it depends on how the business was owned and whether the business is being sued or you are being sued individually.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am being sued in small claims court [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Arizona and I am being sued for $10,000 because of an accident I was in 6 years ago and my insurance had lapsed. Now my license is revoked and can not be reinstated until I satisfy the judgement. I've made two offers to his attorney and her last response to my offer of $6,800 was they...

SOL on a Business to Business Small Claims Court [ 6 Answers ]

Our case is that we purchase of a software "PICK" 3 user licence, Oct 1 st 1997. It did not come to our attention that it was illegal till March 2007. We ended up filling a Small Claims court suit for $10,000 for our money back. Today the jugde refused our claim saying SOL had expired,...

Being sued in small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I purchased a mobile home (land contract and I don't even think the contract was legal) in 7-06. I was going through a divorce at that time. I had to land contract because I only worked 2 to 3 days per week and depended on my alimony that was ordered by the court. When I moved in, the...

Being sued in small claims court for an accident that was not my fault [ 3 Answers ]

I am being sued in small claims court for an accident that was not my fault. I was not even hit in the accident, according to police it was a one car accident. A guy that was driving behind me, hit a guard rail because he thought I was turning right not left and went around me on the left, but I...

View more questions Search