Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragnlady5 Posts: 88, Reputation: 4

Sep 29, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Solar panels
    Me and my husband have been discussing putting in solar panels. He wanted me to get online and see what I could find out. I need a solar panels for dummies or something. Any help would be grateful cause I really don't know where to start. There is so much out there that it is overwhelming.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2008, 12:45 PM

The simplest is a grid-tie, net metering.
    You have to have utility power for the system to function. You draw power from the solar cells when you can. You sell electricity back to the utility (meter runs backwards) when you not using it.

This system does not require batteries and doesn't function during a power outage.

There may be energy credits at the town, state or federal level. Most require the systems to be professionally installed.

Don't have referenences at the top of my head except Xantrex Technology Inc.

Sep 29, 2008, 02:06 PM

Ok I don't understand a thing about this. With this I can light and Heat my home right? I would love to significantly reduce the electric bill. I also have a 3 story home and 5 kids so we use a lot of electricity
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2008, 02:22 PM

Light and heat your home: No. Significantly reduce your electric bill: Yes

When there is no sun, there is no solar electricity, so your running on the grid.

When there is lots of sun, your acting as a small power plant. Whatever you can use that the solar panels are producing, your using. The excess gets sold to the utility, by making your meter run "backwards".

What you can afford depends on the payback period from the initial cost and what size system you can afford. A southern exposure for the panels is also required. Grants and tax benefits greatly reduce costs - maybe as much as 50%.

The panels will probably have a 25 year life.

In the case your describing, you probably don't want to have batteries or be self-sufficent.

The good part about solar is that when air conditioning demand is high, solar output is high and the utility doesn't have to run their plant at peak. Their peak is lower and they don't have to build bigger power plants.

Sep 29, 2008, 06:15 PM

OK. I ready that every 100 sq feet will produce 1 KW per hour. We use 40KW per day (I think) so hubby did the math and we would need 200 square feet. Problem is we can only find Things like 46 in by 20 in. and when it says 175 KWh does that mean it produces 175 kilowatts an hour? Help I don't understand any of this as far as what we need
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2008, 06:48 PM

40 kW is a big electric use, but with a large family it isn't unreasonable.

This link: Solar power system sizing for your solar electric project.

Explains more about sizing.

Give me a specification page, and I'll look over it.

Solar panels would be basically rated as the power at full sun. i.e. watts.

In order to get an idea of what the cells will produce you need the average insolation. Per day when the entire year is taken into account would give you the best possibility of reaching all of your goal.

The angle of the mounting and the roof area available will put constraints on your selection. Total cost has to be factored into payback to chose.

Check out Home Power Magazine: Solar | Wind | Water | Design | Build.

In recent months there has been articles in the magazine Circuit Cellar on sizing.

I know your not ready for this, but tracking systems and pole mountings are available.

One thing that was discussed in one of the Circuit Cellar articles is the mounting of the panels on the roof. The method chosen was basically the same method used for plumbing vent stacks. They provided the mounting points and a solar mounting frame was attached to these. This was definitely clever.

Remember that the panels will likely have to be removed when the shingles are replaced.
    energyrefuge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2010, 05:27 AM
    Your geographical location will inform the best approach to employing solar panels as a source of alternative energy and it's a good idea to find out whether your state has a feed-in tariff scheme in place, whereby you can sell power back to the grid. Tax rebates are also available in several states. In any case do your homework as to which solar power supplier would best suit your needs.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 20, 2010, 08:09 AM

energyrefuge,
    You're responding to a 2 year old dead thread. Look in the upper left hand corner for the date.
    Welcome to AskMeHelpDesk. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I run my air conditioner with solar panels [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all! I live in sunny Puerto Rico and I am interested in installing solar (photovoltaic) panels to run the house; however, no one is able to tell me how to operate our a/c. I understand the issue with the high energy demand when the compressor kicks in, but how do I overcome it? With...

Wind generator or solar panels? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, we flooded our basement because of power outage and the sump pump stopped. I was thinking of having a battery generator (either 600w or 1500w that has an outlet so I can connect the outlet of the sump pump to it) I don't have any clue how long the battery will last so I thought I will...

Building solar panels [ 3 Answers ]

I hope this is the best area to ask this... I want to learn how to build my own small solar panels. I seem to recall running across a plan to do so in a magazine a few years ago, but cannot for the life of me remember where I read it. Does anyone know how to do this? I'm wanting to build...

Solar Heating Panels [ 1 Answers ]

What would be the most efficencent heat raiser, Black screen?

View more questions Search