Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JMB42 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Adding a 3rd story using a gambrel roof
    I'd like to add a 3rd story/gambrel roof to my house. I believe that I could do a semi-cathedral ceiling using plywood gusset plates in place of ceiling joists but can I also push the knee bracing (interior walls) outward to give more room space or do they have to meet at the joint where the upper and lower rafters meet? Thanks, Jim B.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 11:48 AM

Jim, I would suggest to start with a call to your building department and ask what they require for this kind of project. Sometimes you need to employ a strutural engineer to verify thet the foundation and home framing can carry the load.
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
    I built a house for myself once with same situation, and made the knee wall only about 3' tall, but I was able to run beams laterally right under the break in the rafters and run them from bearing wall to bearing wall to carry the loads.

I would have an engineer look at this one.

Good luck

Roger

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metal Roof over existing shingle roof ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hurricane Andrew & Gustav has convinced me to put a metal roof. I'm too old to keep patching shingles. I'm undecided : on using treated 1 x 4 lats directly over shingles (parallel to ridge), screwed to rafters and metal screwed to lats or

Attach gable roof to flat roof [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a three season attached screenroom. We are uncertain how to attach the gable roof to the present roof (gabled in the opposite direction, so the attachment is on the flat side). We have spent hours trying to locate do it yourself instructions and can only find do it yourself kits...

Adding 2 story -do toilets have to be directly above? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to do a layout of adding an upstairs addition. Do the toilets upstairs need to be directly above the ones below on the ground level or can they be within the general vicinity? Thanks for the help.

Adding insulation to existing 2nd story room [ 3 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Hope someone can help! A second story room is MUCH colder in winter and MUCH warmer in summer - was finished out after we bought the home... have had the duct worked checked out and is OK and the attic insulation is acceptable I am thinking that...

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

View more questions Search