Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandrap Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Sep 29, 2008, 02:30 AM
    My seven weeks old puppy will not eat
    We got a Bichon frise puppy last week and when we first brought her home she ate her food. For the last 36 hours she has been eating only a little of the food I have put down for her but she is not as hungry as she should be. I throw it away and wait till her next meal time and again she is trying a little. I have even bought a different puppy food to the one the breeder gave her but she is refusing to eat that one as well.
    She is not ill, no signs at all of anything wrong. She only had her injection on the day we bought her(about 5 days ago) could this be anything to do with it.
    I am feeding the dry puppy food which is mixed with water to moisten it.
    I would be grateful for any advice please.
    vexation Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Sep 29, 2008, 03:30 AM

Hello
    With our new little pups which are now adults
    We mixed dry food with a spoon of Hi quality canned food for the first 6 months or so until their teeth were adult then we slowly removed the canned food
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Sep 29, 2008, 09:41 AM

I wouldn't recommend any canned food for the baby's tummy. Continue feeding the dry puppy food moistened.

Hopefully you have chosen a holistic brand... the first 8 months of bone and organ growth are vital to the necessity of quality foods.

You puppy more than likely is getting all the nutritional value he needs w/ what little he's eating.

I have a little dog as well, (well several dogs really, but specifically... ), this one I fed up on the counter top so the other big ones would not take her food. I hand fed her moistened holistic foods. She ate very little but she did better when I fed her by hand.

They're baby's.. and they need coddling... My girl eventually ended up eating on the floor next to her pack and learned to fend for herself, as they all learn.

Little ones need a helping hand. Xo
    vexation Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Sep 30, 2008, 02:58 AM

Hello
    I find it interesting that this site is made up of people asking other people for advise or an option and the fact that other people make comments on some of the advise .
    Who are we anyway. There is always more then one way to do things .
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Check the sticky at the top of the page.

Oct 4, 2008, 03:02 AM
    Comment on vexation's post
    What a sad person. We are not all "know alls" thank goodness we have other people to ask when we have a problem

Oct 4, 2008, 03:03 AM
    Comment on SweetDee's post
    Thank you so much for your help

Oct 4, 2008, 03:04 AM
    Comment on labman's post
    Thank you for your help

Oct 4, 2008, 05:00 AM

Sandrap, I'm glad that I could help you...

How is it going w/ your pup so far?

Oct 4, 2008, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetDee View Post
    Sandrap, I'm glad that I could help you...

How is it going w/ your pup so far?
    My puppy is doing very well thank you, she has decided she does not like the dried food mixed with water, she likes it hard and crunchy so there we go, found the solution.
    Thank goodness for sites like this one because we do not all know everything, but some us know some things and we can help others by what we learn from others.
    sister_help Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2008, 05:33 AM

I think your puppy has become picky.. try giving warm milk... it could be indigestion

Oct 4, 2008, 05:40 AM

Trial and error is how I learn about their health needs, as far as food is concerned, so I hear you!

It's better for your dog's digestion to eat dry... as well as for her teeth. (If your dog were another type of breed I may not feel the same way about eating dry dog food... ).

After 6 months try giving her whole carrots, (the long ones). Her tummy should be mature enough to handle it and she'll have fun chewing and eating. It's good for her and she enjoy massaging her gums... lol. (Watch out for her stool, if it's soft don't give it anymore. Start with her first piece about finger long... always keep an eye on her tummy by what her stool is doing). Food for thought... lol.;)

Also, you might want to give her a half a tea spoon of "Keffer" or yogert a day... to begin w/. It's awesome calcium... for a growing puppy. Up the dose each day... (keeping an eye on her stool at all times).

No matter how holistic the dog food.. it's still bagged food which isn't as fortified and healthy as adding a little something-something to her diet each day.

How old is your baby?

Oct 4, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Oh, I must admit that trial and error is not THE ONLY way I learn about dog nutrition... sorry, I didn't add that in the first post. I also speak to a ton of doggy people, I have a good friend who's a vet and I often go on line for a lot of info.. (Just thought I needed to say this!).

Oct 4, 2008, 05:44 AM

SEVEN WEEKSSSSSSSSSS, never mind! I can't believe I forgot that!

Oct 4, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Comment on sister_help's post
    I find this answer does not fit in with m y dogs in the past because warm milk or any milk for that matter tends to give them the "runs" I wonder if others agree with me.

Oct 4, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vexation View Post
    Hello
    with our new little pups which are now adults
    we mixed dry food with a spoon of Hi quality canned food for the first 6 months or so until their teeth were adult then we slowly removed the canned food
    I must apologise, I.ve only just realized that you gave more than one answer and Im new to the site and realize how rude I was with you. I thought you were one of the "know alls" that Ive come across before and I am so sorry.
    Please forgive me. And thank you for your original answer mixing dried food with canned.

Oct 4, 2008, 07:04 AM

I agree w/ you that giving your puppy milk is not a good way to offer calcium. Try Keffer or yogert.

OH! I also blend (in a coffee grinder) some egg shells, rinsed and dried (unless the dog is used to raw food). I add the powdered shells to the keffer, on a spoon. All this I do, PLUS MORE... however each time I intro a new food I do it one at a time... always watching the stool to make sure all is solid and healthy.

I miss having a baby dog...

Oct 4, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetDee View Post
    I agree w/ you that giving your puppy milk is not a good way to offer calcium. Try Keffer or yogert.

OH! I also blend (in a coffee grinder) some egg shells, rinsed and dried (unless the dog is used to raw food). I add the powdered shells to the keffer, on a spoon. All this I do, PLUS MORE...however each time I intro a new food I do it one at a time...always watching the stool to make sure all is solid and healthy.

I miss having a baby dog...
    Oh go on treat yourself LOL get a baby dog X

Oct 9, 2008, 04:35 AM

I can't! We cannot have ANOTHER dog... too many already. We won't be able to afford another one.

I feel that we've GOT to be able to handle the amount that we already have, (in terms of vet care... ). And it's already tight! :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Baby is 4`1/2 weeks in growth and I thought I was 6 weeks [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new wife of 6 months with an amazing husband... we recently in August had a miscarriage and now became pregnant again... here's the thing... My last period was on dec 22nd and I am NOT regular.. between 32-39 day cycles... I had an ultra sound today and it said my baby was only about...

11 weeks pregnant fetus only 6 weeks? [ 8 Answers ]

I thought I was 11 weeks pregnant, had some very light spotting and Dr. did ultrasound and said fetus was only 6 weeks?? I am almost positive there was no possibility of conception on the new date so they believe the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks and I had a missed miscarriage. I am waiting...

26 weeks, 3 weeks behind in growth, dr's concerned. [ 7 Answers ]

My baby is now 26 weeks, but measures 23, the Dr.'s are very concerned and have brought up the possibility of having a skeletal disorder(dwarf) because she is behind on growth, we did an amnio and also blood tests which all came back fine. They have also not found any other abnormalities. Is this...

Crying 4 weeks puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I got a 4 weeks puppy, it's her first night with me and it's not going well. She's not stopping from crying. She's in a pretty big box with some water and a bed. What should I do? Thanks.

View more questions Search