Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmyinJersey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Dog Urine Smell in my Fridge
    HELP!

My dog has repeatedly peed on the floor in my kitchen. The BIGGER problem is that my floor is slanted, and the pee runs down under the fridge. We have repeatedly pulled the fridge from the wall, and cleaned the floor thoroughly with ammonia and every other pet odor eliminator cleaner we could find and have successfully eliminated the smell from the tile and baseboard (to the extent of damaging the tile).

However... now that the pee is gone from the floor... whenever you open the door of the fridge or freezer the odor of dog urine smacks you in the face SO strong it makes me sick. We have a standard, freezer over fridge style, no bells or whistles, not even an ice maker. It doesn't matter how many times we empty the fridge and scour it, or put 3 boxes of baking soda in fridge and freezer, nothing helps.

This is an apartment and our landlord is going to make us pay for it I'm sure. But at this point I just want to be able to use the fridge without gagging. My husband looked in the back of the fridge and says the smell is stronger around the coils. This is a small poodle, and there's no way he peed ON the fridge... is it possible that the pee somehow evaporated into the workings of the fridge from the floor?

Any help is appreciated, we're dyin here!
    MonkeySeeMonkeyDo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Speaking from experience, I can say that activated charcoal removes odors that neither baking soda nor scrubbing down the refrigerator gets rid of. Just get a box of the stuff (commonly available from pet stores), put out some dishes of it in the refrigerator and freezer compartments, and give it a couple of days to take effect.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 10:16 PM

Unfortunately, any smell at the bottom of the fridge will make it into the fridge because of the drain system. During the defrost cycle and other times water drips into a pan below the fridge. A coil below heats that water and evaporates it.

First: remove and clean the bottom of the pan and clean what you can from the access area.

Then, I'd say pull the fridge out such that you can get a fan to blow under it for a day or so.

If that is unsuccessful, then I'd empty the fridge and very carefully turn it on it's side and clean the underside.
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Oct 1, 2008, 07:07 PM

These are good suggestions. I would recommend renting an ozone air treatment system. It will knock out odors period. Use one that will give a "shock treatment". You can shock treat the apartment with one that puts out at least 3000mg per hour. Focus it over on the fridge. If you can't find one at some of the local rental places let us know. I can probably get you one. Usually, they rent for $40 per day with a 2-day minimum.

I use mine occasionally to remove my elderly dog accident odors. First, I clean with a multi-purpose cleaner. Then, kill all of the odor causing bacteria with the ozone machine. It is amazing how well it works. If it is going to continue to be an ongoing problem, you may consider buying one instead of renting.

That's a whole lot cheaper than buying a fridge!

Good Luck,
    Al
    eokhuijzen Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Nov 12, 2010, 12:45 AM
    K this post is old so I hope to god your pee smell is gone but for other posters looking for answers... my dog peed... EVERYWHERE, I literally spent hundreds on those stupid cleaning products for animals and nothing worked. Its like it made it worse. Then I tried the baking soda and that just lifted the color. BUT here is the magic. 1 part white vinegar and 1 part baking soda. Make a PASTE. It's a little hard to do cause you always put in a little too much liquid. Now this is messy as heck so pre warning. Tip the fridge like they said and goop the paste ALL over it. Let it sit for like 3 days. It will reak like vinegar but you will see the pee color lifting off. Then take hot soapy water +MUST BE DAWN DISHSOAP+ and clean it up. This is the messy part and takes forever. But I gurentee with my life the smell is gone forever. And not just to humans but the animals too! They won't go in the same spot again. Try the same thing with floors, carpets, wood etc. Its awesome! Trust me, I had been searching for YEARS to solve this pee thing and even stopped invititng guests over because I was so embarrassed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat urine smell [ 2 Answers ]

How to get rid of male cat urine smell in wool rug that has been repeatedly,professionally cleaned and the smell still remains??

Smell in urine [ 3 Answers ]

For the past few days I have noticed a strong smell when I urinate. Can you tell me the cause, and should I be worried?

Car urine smell under our house [ 1 Answers ]

We do not have cats but neighborhood cats get under our house and pee and spray. Our whole house now smells like cat urine and I do not know what to do. I know we first need to board up the hole but my question is how do I get rid of the smell? It is starting to get warm here and the smell is...

Urine smell Comes and Goes [ 3 Answers ]

We have a cottage in which we are getting very intermittent smells of urine (we believe). It shows up at odd times in one of our three bedrooms. Stays around for a few minutes and then after opening a window disappears. The bathrooms do not smell. I have checked the plumbing in the crawl space and...

Urine smell in bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

We have a triwide mobile home with 2 bathrooms. The guest bathroom has a urine smell and has had it for quite a while now. It's clean and the only thing I can think of is the vent pipe on the roof is clogged. How can I go about clearing it without damaging anything Also, I hear the toilet kind...

View more questions Search