Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jasv Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

May 22, 2006, 06:36 PM
    Rats, holes and a mountain house
    I bought a house in the local mountains. The house had been vacant and after finding some mouse droppings I placed some poison pellets to get rid of them. After more investigation I found that under the house (in the build out) there was not only mice but rats. Enough of them that I could see them in their nests in the insulation. So more poison came out and now I think they are gone.

Here is my problem. I see a bunch of tunnels on the dirt floor of the build out. Do the rats dig these tunnels? If I fill them up with cement will they just dig new ones? Is there any way to rid them for good?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 23, 2006, 03:29 AM
    Yes, Rats burrow. Yes, you can get rid of them for good, but it will take ongoing measures of prevention also.

For a start, scroll down to the Rodent Control section here:
    http://opkansas.org/_Res/Neighborhoo...nting_rats.cfm

And here's another good instructional link:
    Getting Rid of Rats

Hope this helps!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 04:02 AM
    Hi,
    Your "local" mountain area didn't specify if it's it the United States.
    I have used a very, very good rat poisen; but don't know the name of it.
    They are small round green balls, about 1/2 inch in diameter; available from Farm Stores, Coops, or even Lowe's.
    There is no smell associated with the dead animals, and it's the best I've ever found. There isn't another rat (mouse) poisen that is this description; or at least not in my local area.
    As the previous answer said, "yes" they burrow, just like ground squirrels. Best of luck.
    jasv Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

May 23, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Thanks for the answers. The local mountains is in southern calif near big bear lake. I wish I had know about the poison you are talking about because I am dealing with the dead animal smell by using gloves and a mask to find them. As you can imagine it isn't easy or pleasant.

Rikj, Thanks for the link. I will get started with prevention.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Drill holes in shell [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best, most efficitent, cheapest way to drill a holes in shells. I have lots of shells that need to get small holes drilled in them, but it seems that shells are very hard and it takes an incredibly long time. I have used a hand drill with an ordinary drill bit and it worked OK but took...

Chain link holes [ 2 Answers ]

Yes I have some holes in my chain link fence, and was wondering how to patch them, there about 2 foot and are in the center of the fence

Mountain chains that border great mid-continental basin [ 1 Answers ]

What are the two major mountain chains that border the great mid-continental basin drained by the Mississippi River system?

Chinchilla Rats [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know more about chinchilla rats. Where can you find them? I think I may have seen one in Omak Washington. Please get back to me, Thanks.

Mall Rats Actors [ 1 Answers ]

What is the name of the bald actor that plays the dad who runs the Game Show? The one that gets "stink palmed" and then gets sick? Again sorry so vague. Just have a bet that this actor is not the same actor as the guy from Top Gun. I think they are different, can someone please confirm?

View more questions Search