Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwpool Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 08:39 PM
    Hole in bottom of inground liner pool
    I have an inground Clayton and Lambert pool, 37' X 19' by 8' deep on one end, 3' at the other end, steel walls and sand/cement bottom. I have a hole in the deep end bottom which tore a hole in the liner and lost about a 18 inches of water before I started pumping out the water to empty it. I have not really started tearing out the hole to see how deep it goes but wonderig if anyone has come across this and has any ideas on how I should repair it before I install a new liner. Thanks.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Sep 29, 2008, 12:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jwpool View Post
    I have not really started tearing out the hole to see how deep it goes but wonderig if anyone has come across this and has any ideas on how I should repair it before I install a new liner.
    Hello JW !

First you have to consider what caused that hole : most probably it developed by water leaking through a small hole in the lining. You should have noticed that because of the need to fill up beyond normal evaporation.

Once you have such a hole, the best thing to do is pump out water as soon as that happens and investigate the problem, before you get sinkholes (even small ones).

Contact the company who sold you the pool, and ask them for advice on the repair. They are (or should be) the experts !

Hardening of the ground below the pool only works partly and temporally, because any leak will cause a sinkhole over time.
    An alternative to prevent this from happening includes a range of possibilities, from a bottom or a complete pool made from reinforced concrete, to one made of fiberglass.

Success !

albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Oct 1, 2008, 06:41 PM

I agree that it was likely a leak in the liner that caused the hole underneath.

Once you get the hole uncovered, you'll want to wash some sand down in the hole. Keep feeding sand and washing it down in the hole until you cannot cram any more into it. You can also use a sledge hammer head, or a tamper if the hole is large enough diameter. If it was concrete around it, after washing sand down the hole, remove 4" of depth of sand from the hole. Then, use concrete to top it off. Use at least 4000psi concrete.

Good Luck,
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After cement patch, can I paint inground pool walls and not use a pool liner [ 1 Answers ]

Existing pool liner has come off (bought home with pool as is) cement patches needed. I want to just paint the cement and fill the pool. Is that doable, or do I need the pool liner.

Inground Pool Liner- Large Hole Repair [ 3 Answers ]

When opening our 9 year old inground pool this year, we found a large horizontal tear in one corner of the deep end. The tear is about 3-4 feet wide. Can we repair this tear rather than investing in the purchase and installation of a new liner? I am envisioning something like a 4-by-4 foot sheet...

Inground pool liner [ 3 Answers ]

I have an inground pool with liner. The liner color is blue and white and white is discolored = yellowed. Is there a way to clean that? or do I have to replace the liner. The pool is 10 yr. old.

View more questions Search