Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Sep 28, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Legal Assistant/Paralegal Career Change?
    Hello,

Back in 2005 I graduated and started working for a small law firm doing everything except Family Law and Criminal Law. Since it was just one lawyer... who was a slave driver I went many hours unpaid and there was no incentive. I conceived and went on maternity, when I came back I was not happy doing my job... actually I hated it. Not because I didn't love my job I just hated my employer since he didn't want to work around my new "schedule" (having kids changes priorities) so mutually we agreed that it was time for me to move on. I temped out for a bit and a job fell on my lap... I didn't even apply. Now I am working at one of the largest, international law firms which is reputable all over the major cities Canada and New York. There are many incentives, I received a $10,000 raise with full benefits and everything, just don't care for the downtown thing.

The problem is, I went from a Paralegal to a Floater Legal Assistant which is a huge drop for me and it is tough getting into other peoples workspace to cover them on leave... it's a lot of moving around and adaptation. I like to have control over my files, deal directly with our clients and be on a constant flow of work (makes my day go by faster). Being a floater is hard... sometimes your swamped and other times your surfing the internet (since we aren't allowed to hobby read). Not only that but sometimes I wonder how some legal assistants even have a job with their disorganization! I like what I do just not what I am doing now! Anyway I am pregnant again and this will more then likely be my last child since well, its hard enough these days and I don't want to stay home and be a housewife and open a daycare. So I will have a year to contemplate on what it is that I want to do and what it is that will pay better and I will be happy doing. My most strongest areas are Real Estate (Residential (Home, Mobile, Condo), Commercial, Land Transactions etc.) and all area's of Litigation with some Employment/Labor Law.

I know I could branch off to the Courts, Land Survey Co. Realtor and all that but not sure what the best route would be if I decide to change my career. I like doing law so it's either get a permanent cubicle and 3 lawyers to work for or move to a smaller firm or branch off in my career.

So having said all of that, any feed back regarding what my options are and/or what further education I would need to seek in obtaining a career I can branch off to is appreciated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxaprilwine View Post
    Hello,

Back in 2005 I graduated and started working for a small law firm doing everything except Family Law and Criminal Law. Since it was just one lawyer...who was a slave driver I went many hours unpaid and there was no incentive. I conceived and went on maternity, when I came back I was not happy doing my job...actually I hated it. Not because I didn't love my job I just hated my employer since he didn't want to work around my new "schedule" (having kids changes priorities) so mutually we agreed that it was time for me to move on. I temped out for a bit and a job fell on my lap...I didn't even apply. Now I am working at one of the largest, international law firms which is reputable all over the major cities Canada and New York. There are many incentives, I received a $10,000 raise with full benefits and everything, just don't care for the downtown thing.

The problem is, I went from a Paralegal to a Floater Legal Assistant which is a huge drop for me and it is tough getting into other peoples workspace to cover them on leave...it's a lot of moving around and adaptation. I like to have control over my files, deal directly with our clients and be on a constant flow of work (makes my day go by faster). Being a floater is hard...sometimes your swamped and other times your surfing the internet (since we aren't allowed to hobby read). Not only that but sometimes I wonder how some legal assistants even have a job with their disorganization! I like what I do just not what I am doing now! Anyway I am pregnant again and this will more then likely be my last child since well, its hard enough these days and I don't want to stay home and be a housewife and open a daycare. So I will have a year to contemplate on what it is that I want to do and what it is that will pay better and I will be happy doing. My most strongest areas are Real Estate (Residential (Home, Mobile, Condo), Commercial, Land Transactions etc.) and all area's of Litigation with some Employment/Labor Law.

I know I could branch off to the Courts, Land Survey Co., Realtor and all that but not sure what the best route would be if I decide to change my career. I like doing law so it's either get a permanent cubicle and 3 lawyers to work for or move to a smaller firm or branch off in my career.

So having said all of that, any feed back regarding what my options are and/or what further education I would need to seek in obtaining a career I can branch off to is appreciated.

What is your present level of education?
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Sep 28, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Grade 12 and College Paralegal Diploma... nothing else since I am married with kids but I am a fast learner and graduated honors in all my courses and total averages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Assistant from Canada cannot find work [ 1 Answers ]

I have 15 years experience as a legal assistant in Canada. I have been applying for work for a year now. Why do lawyers in California not want to hire me?

Need career change [ 4 Answers ]

I am a Chiropractor & I do have BS degree in Human Biology. I would like to change my job. I don't like to do marketing. I am a female chiropractor with kids and running an office is taking a lot of time. If I get sick, I have to find replacement right away... & Lots of other problems... I...

I need a career change [ 1 Answers ]

At the moment I'm working as a receptionist and now I'm bored and I need something that motivates me. Please help me out.

View more questions Search