Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

May 22, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Niagara Falls! Where Does All This Water Come From?!
    RE: NIAGARA FALLS: My Son wants to know from where does all this water come? How does it continue to fall like this?
    And where does it go - why is there no flooding?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 22, 2006, 11:36 AM
    The Niagara River is actually a "strait". Basically just a waterway between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 22, 2006, 03:28 PM
    I'm assuming he's wondering why the water never simply runs out. That would be the concept of the earth's Water Cycle.

More here: Water cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And here: The Water Cycle
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 22, 2006, 03:45 PM
    It will eventually erode the cliff and flatten out, becoming a gorge. But it will still be a river that flows so the real question is why do rivers continue to flow, as NeedKarma already mentioned.

To demonstrate why it doesn't flood, draw a goodly groove in the dirt and let him pour the water slowly.

There are some great children's books out about worldwide weather, maybe look through some at the library or bookstore?
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 22, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Niagara Falls Origins - a Geological History

Very interesting fun reading
    roadru55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Don't listent to thses s...

Look The water flows from streams and rivers that empty into the Great Lakes, from Lake Superior down through Niagara to Lake Ontario, then into the St. Lawrence River to the Atlantic Ocean. Water always flows down to the sea, and the land slopes downward through the Great Lakes Basin from west to east - but the Niagara River actually flows north
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by roadru55
    Don't listent to thses s......

look The water flows from streams and rivers that empty into the Great Lakes, from Lake Superior down through Niagara to Lake Ontario, then into the St. Lawrence River to the Atlantic Ocean. Water always flows down to the sea, and the land slopes downward through the Great Lakes Basin from west to east - but the Niagara River actually flows north
    Nice copy paste :p - state your sources!
    sai22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Dec 29, 2009, 03:05 PM
    i've been there and i have many questions until now so nice the place
    sai22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Dec 29, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Need to study about this
    ahmed2162 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2010, 08:24 PM
    I always wonder where this water come from, but finally now I know that it's from the Earth cycle
    riesj74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2010, 04:25 AM
    The earths cycle assumes it evaporates into the clouds and then comes down as rain again.
    But I have some problems with that.
    A. that much water can't possibly evaporate that quickly that it always stays a steady stream...
    B. it might evaporate at one place, but it will never come down at the same place again all the time... so again, how does it stay such a steady stream!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Hot water venting into cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I posted my query here a while back but unfortunately it appears to have been left to fester :confused: (query was hot water from cold water tap). After a couple more visits by a plumber, his view is that the hot water tank is overheating, venting hot water into the cold water tank at the...

Gay Falls for Straight Man! What to do? [ 19 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm a 28 year old gay man and not out yet. I met a guy 4 years ago who I trained at the workplace. He seemed interesting. He's 22. So the second day of just knowing him I invited him to my cousins house to watch a Sporting event. He didn't have a car so I drove him there. He had...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

View more questions Search