Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dan Schottel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2008, 10:53 PM
    16 HP Briggs & Stratton will not turn over
    I have a 16 HP Briggs & Stratton engine on a craftsman rider that will not turn over (crank.). I know the battery is good because I just replaced it and it sparked real good when the wrench hit both terminals accidentally. The model number is 310707-0136-E1 on the engine.

It won't even click but makes a slight noise up by the carburetor (electric choke). When I remove the fuse I don't hear this noise so I think the fuse is fine. It has been difficult to start but I think that is because the old battery was about 16 months old and it was only a 12 month battery but I replaced that today with the one I described above.

A jump start from my van would always start it quickly. Now a jump won't even allow it to turn over. Where do I start? Starter, solenoid, ignition switch? Are these things easy to test? What does it mean since it isn't making the clicking sound? It use to do this even when the battery was dead but now nothing except that slight noise up by the carburetor.

Thanks,
    Dan
    johnster2008 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2008, 05:10 PM
    You can test the starter by connecting booster cables to the starter.The hot to the red wire and ground to the body of your mower. Tha would be a start.If it turns over then it may be the solenoid. I hope that helps you get an idea where to start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

17 hp briggs and stratton [ 1 Answers ]

What is the gap on a 17 hp ohv adjustment

21 horse briggs & stratton will not turn over [ 2 Answers ]

I have a huskee 21 hp briggs and stratton that ran fine the day before and then I changed oil in it and tried to crank it and nothing happened. I bought a new interstate battery and new post connections and still nothing. I turn the key and get no sound what-so-ever. You would think the solinoid...

Briggs and stratton run [ 5 Answers ]

I have a B&s 14.5 (42598x92a) on a Murray 42" riding lawn mower it was given to me the other day by a friend. It wouldn't run so I worked on it a little bit and got it running then it stopped.I figured the carb needed cleaning because it had set for awhile so I took it apart and cleaned it but I...

Briggs and Stratton 12.5hp engine won't turn [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older MTD with BS 12.5hp mower I inherited. I had to change starter when I got it and it ran fine. Last week I died on me twice (seemed to not get fuel and died). It started back up after 5 minutes without anything on my part. Today I go out and it turns over a little, then bogs down....

Briggs and Stratton 10 hp [ 1 Answers ]

Can some one help me I need to know what valve setting to set on my briggs stratton generator. Thank you for you help

View more questions Search