Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Sep 27, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Extract from Sugar Cane? Sub for Lipitor?
    Has anyone used a nutritional substitute for Lipitor, a prescription drug for cholesterol problems? The sub comes from a waxy material of sugar cane. The name starts with "p." Do you have any info about results you had or results friends experienced? Lipitor is listed among "Statin" drugs, and they are getting some focus in the media as to harmfulness.

Thanks.

IM4U
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 03:38 AM

I have seen no warning about Lipitor, nor have any of my clients. It is a very popular cholesterol medication and I would not advice taking anything as a sub unless it has your doctors approval.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4U View Post
    Has anyone used a nutritional substitute for Lipitor, a prescription drug for cholesterol problems? The sub comes from a waxy material of sugar cane. The name starts with "p." Do you have any info about results you had or results friends experienced? Lipitor is listed among "Statin" drugs, and they are getting some focus in the media as to harmfulness.

Thanks.

IM4U

Lipitor can be dangerous if the patient has any liver problems or the possibility of liver problems - that's why blood tests must be routinely done. There have been cases - more than a few - of muscle weakness and currently the standard is to stop taking Lipitor if surgery is planned.

I have seen the studies of the substitute - and I can't recall the name, either, although I do know what you are asking about - but have not seen anything definitive.

My husband was a Doctor of Pharmacy and I have all the ongoing magazines, periodicals, educational materials, and can find nothing definitive.
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Oct 17, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Hi, this is the asker of the question. I found the name--"policosanol." Sounds like a political cure, right? If so, we would probably all like a few bottles!

After a sparring match with my cardiologist, I am taking policosanol for a few weeks and then getting a lab visit. I had run out of lipitor and had not renewed it when we had our friendly discussion.

I did have a "cardioversion" last week to get my rhythm back. I am grateful for that successful "shot" of electricity. I have considerably more energy. I guess running out of the proper rhythm saps a lot of strength.

As a kid, I chewed a lot of sugar cane and enjoyed the juice. Maybe in a sense I am returning to my childhood. Hope it works!

Thanks for your interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mulberry Extract [ 5 Answers ]

Hi ! This is my first time posting on this forum. I´m a little bit confused. I´ve seen whitening products that contain mulberry extract. Is mulberry extract linked to hydroquinone ? Thanks.

Who remade the Archies song "Sugar Sugar"? [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: Please, who's the artist who remade the Archies song "Sugar Sugar" with changed lyrics.. "Honey, I gotta lotta money.."?

Papaya Extract [ 2 Answers ]

What is usage of Papaya Extract in Cosmetic Creams? How's its helps to improve skin?

Licorice extract .where to get it? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, I live in Canada, and I don't noe exactly where to find 'licorice extract', does anyone know where to get it from? Thanks a lot :)

View more questions Search