Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zarq Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Child appendix
    My daughter has had pain her her tummy around the naval since yesterday morning. When it started she had no temp and no other symptoms. Around noon she vomited and then by about for her temp was 99.7, I know that's a very low grade temp. Now this morning she awoke with a temp of 100.6 still low grade, the pain isn't around her naval it has moved down a bit and to the right slightly. But She isn't in severe pain, it's mostly pain when I push, although she isn't active either.
    How likely is it that this is appendicitis?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2008, 05:37 AM

I hope you have taken your child to the doctor.
    I'm not sure on the vomiting but the pain around the navel and the low grade fever are both signs of appendicitis.

*edit* I looked this up courtesy of Medicine net

What are the symptoms of appendicitis?

Symptoms of appendicitis may include

Pain in the abdomen, first around the belly button, then moving to the lower right area
    Loss of appetite
    Nausea
    Vomiting
    Constipation or diarrhea
    Inability to pass gas
    Low fever that begins after other symptoms
    Abdominal swelling
    Not everyone with appendicitis has all the symptoms. The pain intensifies and worsens when moving, taking deep breaths, coughing, or sneezing. The area becomes very tender. People may have a sensation called "downward urge," also known as "tenesmus," which is the feeling that a bowel movement will relieve their discomfort. Laxatives and pain medications should not be taken in this situation. Anyone with these symptoms needs to see a qualified physician immediately.

Sep 27, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg View Post
    I hope you have taken your child to the doctor.
    I'm not sure on the vomiting but the pain around the navel and the low grade fever are both signs of appendicitis.
    I'm waiting for a sitter to arrive to watch my other children.
    I thought the pain had to be severe?
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2008, 05:44 AM

In my first answer, I posted some additional information, you may want to read it.
    I know that if they burst, the child could be in serious trouble.
    I have known people to have a huge amount of pain and have heard of others that were surprised it was their appendicits that was causing the problem... it could all depend on their threshold for pain.
    I am not in the medical field, but I would seriously caution you to take your child to the ER or Doctor ASAP

Sep 27, 2008, 05:50 AM
    In my first answer, I posted some additional information, you may want to read it.
    I know that if they burst, the child could be in serious trouble.
    I have known people to have a huge amount of pain and have heard of others that were surprised it was their appendicits thta was causing the problem...it could all depend on their threshold for pain.
    I am not in the medical field, but I would seriously caution you to take your child to the ER or Doctor ASAP
    Thanks for the info :)
    Like I said we're ready just waiting on the babysitter. The thing that caught me the most is that the pain has moved from eing all over to being one sided. As strange as it sounds this child has a high tolerance for major pain and a low tolerance for minor pain. It's strange, but I know her and she's not herself. We're going to be enroute to the ER shortly.

Thank you again
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2008, 05:53 AM

Good luck, hope all goes well.
    Check back in and let us know what happened. You never know your question may help out another child in the future.

Sep 28, 2008, 03:26 AM
    Good luck, hope all goes well.
    Check back in and let us know what happened. You never know your question may help out another child in the future.
    First I want to thank you for all your help. We spent 9 hours in the ER yesterday and although she presented like appendix it wasn't. I'm completely unsure how I feel as she was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. It's great to have a diagnosis, and an explanation for the years of night time tummy ache complaints, but instead of having a quick fix this is now something we're going to need to work on. I'm glad I took her though, it explains so much.
    Thank you again
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2008, 06:43 PM

" It's great to have a diagnosis, and an explanation for the years of night time tummy ache complaints,"

Try and think back about what was going on in her life when this first started. It is very important that you keep up with her illness and help her learn how to deal with her problem/problems.

I suffered from IBS on and off during my early childhood and later on in my early 20's.

My problems were from mental, physical, sexual abuse that manifested into IBS symptoms.

Thanks for coming back and letting me know what the diagnosis was. Maybe this thread will someday help another parent and child.

Nov 12, 2008, 04:08 PM
    " It's great to have a diagnosis, and an explanation for the years of night time tummy ache complaints,"

Try and think back about what was going on in her life when this first started. It is very important that you keep up with her illness and help her learn how to deal with her problem/problems.

I suffered from IBS on and off during my early childhood and later on in my early 20's.

My problems were from mental, physical, sexual abuse that manifested into IBS symptoms.

Thanks for coming back and letting me know what the diagnosis was. Maybe this thread will someday help another parent and child.

After an extra push from Momma bear the pediatrician did a Celiac screening. Her results were almost off the charts. She is actually Celiac, not IBS. And although we are still waiting for a biopsy to confirm, the pediatrician called the biopsy a formality since the blood levels were so high, she was + 3 out of 3 tests. Once we do the biopsy and have the rest of us screened, we'll be going gluten free *sigh*
    I'm so glad I pushed for that test even though she wasn't presenting with obvious symptoms. I wanted to update you and update the question in case anyone else comes across this. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

I just had surgery for a appendix removed can I collect unemployment [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just had my appendix taking out I live in south jersey I don't think I have disabillity ins but will social or workmans comp pay me for the next 2 weeks

Is this pain a kidney infection, my appendix or a side effect from Cipro [ 1 Answers ]

I get frequent kidney infections; at least 3 or 4 year and always on the same side: the right. I started Cipro this morning because of a UTI. I knew it was going to turn into a kidney infection if I didn't. Now I have a digging, throbbing pain on my left side. It almost feels like the kidney...

Appendix and works cited [ 1 Answers ]

Let's say I'm doing an assignment with an appendix (in the appendix I have calculations, graphs, etc.). Should I inlude the works cited in the appendix, before, or after?

View more questions Search