Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    log Posts: 93, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2008, 04:16 PM
    94 jeep overheating
    Hi everybody
    I have a problem with the cooling system in a 94 jeep grand cherokee ltd ,inline 6 cylinder.4.0liter... it overheats bad now when I crank the heat on there will be no problem but when the heat is not on it just overheats very quick making the anti freeze flow back to the reservoir and eventually errupt fom there..
    Now I have changed the water pump and the thermostat (many times) is there anything that I'm missing or something that I can do to solve this problem?. if so so so please help me out any ideas or suggestions,answers would be awesome thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2008, 04:22 PM

Is your radiator clogged? I have the same year model vehicle so I know all about this particular car.

Sep 26, 2008, 04:25 PM

I'm not sure... wat do u suggest I do
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2008, 04:29 PM

Have a mechanic see if the radiator is clogged. Since you changed the other stuff and it didn't help the overheating problem, there is only one place left (logically that is) and that would be your radiator. If that's the original one, then it's probably time for a new one. The newer radiators in cars like ours don't last as long as radiators in cars from the 1970's or 1980's. I've had mine since 12/02 and am the second owner. I had to change out my radiator and water pump about 4 years ago.

Sep 26, 2008, 04:41 PM

Do u think a flush would work

Sep 26, 2008, 06:53 PM

Would a radiator flush work?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 04:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by log
    would a radiator flush work?
    A flush will only clean some of the gunk from the tubes that are already flowing.

If the radiator tubes are clogged, the flush and cleaners won't be able to to anything. The scales that build up in a radiator sometimes simply cannot be removed.
    It would be best to replace the radiator and it's cap.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 05:42 AM

I agree with Capt Rich. If this was the original radiator, then it definitely needs changed out as the clog is beyond trying to goose out with any declogger stuff. The antifreeze must flow evenly and freely in the radiator or it will overheat.

Sep 28, 2008, 07:32 PM

K I will test out the radiator to see if it is clogged then have it replaced.. keep u guys posted... oh how much did it cost for the radiator twinkiedooter?
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2008, 04:17 AM

The cost depends on where you get it. I paid in the $300 range for a replacement one and installation of it about 4 years ago. I know it's pricey, but if you still have the original one in the car it definitely needs changed.

Nov 10, 2008, 07:56 PM

Hey twinkiedooter,well I have finally changed the radiator... this thing when taken out weighed 4 times the new radiaiotor lol cause all the garbage inside of it .anyway that was the problem.. also not to mention it became more fuel efficient the engine sounds a lot cleaner and accelerates a lot quicker.. thanx a million!!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 08:03 PM

log, be sure to use a 50/50 mixture of G-05 antifreeze and distilled water. The distilled water will prevent mineral buildup in your new radiator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

An overheating jeep grand cherokee ltd [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys I have a 94 jeep grand cherokee ltd... now the problem is that it does over heat and the antifreeze will boil in the reservoir what's the cause I don't know... I was wandering if you guys will know what the problem is and how to fix it. Any suggestions ,advice or feedback would be great!

Jeep grill 91' [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 91 cherokee and I need to replace the grill. Can I use a later model grill or will it not fit.

Why won't my Jeep run [ 1 Answers ]

1999 Jeep Cherokee, 150,000 miles. Suddenly won't start. No spark, no power to the coil and fuses seem to be OK.

Run around with Jeep [ 1 Answers ]

I am leasing 2007 Jeep since Dec 30th and getting the run around. Is my car a lemon: Jan 2nd something popped in the ignition and I couldn't start the car-was towed to dealer to b fixed. In May, the driver window kept getting out of the groove and leaning forward,couldn't roll it up-brought to...

View more questions Search