Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ApraxicParent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 03:25 PM
    How accurate are IQ tests for 3 year olds?
    My son has apraxia (speech disorder). Apraxia is a psych-motor problem that allows him to hear/understand but he cannot speak more than 2-3 word sentences. His brain cannot fully coordinate with his tongue. (See apraxia-kids.org). He also has balancce / coordination / fine motor skills issues. He is being placed in a special program but was test for an IQ that came out at 70. My wife is worried over it but I don't think an IQ test can tell much at that age, especially with his condition. Hence, the summary question is "How accurate are IQ tests for 3 year olds?"
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 03:27 PM

I don't think testing of a three year old with his problem would be conclusive. Just love him and get him the help he needs
    reenee95 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ApraxicParent View Post
    My son has apraxia (speech disorder). Apraxia is a psych-motor problem that allows him to hear/understand but he cannot speak more than 2-3 word sentences. His brain cannot fully coordinate with his tongue. (See apraxia-kids.org). He also has balancce / coordination / fine motor skills issues. He is being placed in a special program but was test for an IQ that came out at 70. My wife is worried over it but I don't think an IQ test can tell much at that age, especially with his condition. Hence, the summary question is "How accurate are IQ tests for 3 year olds?"
    He's only 3 right ? If so that's very good for a little boy ! Because he haven't been in school yet ! He has to learn stuff! Smart kid ! She doesn't have to worry ! I have an iq of 50! Lol jk ! :):D
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 04:33 AM

Which IQ test was used? They can be quite inaccurate for young children... especially depending on what test was used.

Keep in mind as well, that they are not indicitive of your child's capabilities, merely one tool among many that is used to gain some insight. Simple day to day observations will be more telling of how your child is doing at this age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

19 Year Olds and Limits [ 10 Answers ]

I have four daughters. The oldest will be 19 in a week. She had been heavily involved in competitive sports and school which kept her focused and too busy to chase around. Now that she has graduated and is no longer participating in sports she has begun going out with friends we don't know and...

My 4 year olds temper [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 year old son is a bully. He is out of control. He has a horrific temper that I am having a hard time dealing with. He ruins anything he can get his hands on and he LOVES to beat up on my other kids... and my dog. We have tried everything that has been sugested... and nothing has worked... im...

Art ideas for 1 year olds [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for Art ideas for babies 0-1 year olds in a Nursery? Can anyone help?

10 year olds coming out as gay? [ 7 Answers ]

I recently got into a heated debate with a friend. A mutual friend of ours works at a summer camp for young children and apparently a few boys ranging from ages 10 and 11 have come out as being gay and 2 of them are even boyfriend and boyfriend, kissing and holding hands. She seems to think this is...

View more questions Search