Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jorge muro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Can my wife take my son out of state ?
    We have join custidy of my son but she is the primary custodial, can she take my son out of state? Without my permision?
    How can I stop this? I don't won't to lose my son ,Please Help,he is my life

Thank you so much.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2008, 04:18 PM

Please refer to your written Court Order regarding custody arrangements and what you agreed to. There should be some clause in this agreement that states about taking the child out of the state. It should state that the mother/father must have the other parties' permission to do this. If there is no such clause in your custody agreement, then she can take the child anywhere she wishes with or without your permission.

If this is to move out of state and not just take the child for a vacation, then that particular subject should be covered in your custody agreement also. If you do not wish her to move out of state to live with the child, then get your attorney to file a Motion denying her move and bring this before the Judge as soon as possible. Once she has actually moved out of state, it is possible to undo this, but takes a lot less time and money if done before she moves.
    jpothoof Posts: 15, Reputation: -1

Oct 13, 2008, 11:27 AM
    No she can't. Not without your written permission. My mom has primary custody too but since they have joint custody he still had parental rights to my well being. But your ex should know that she is hurting the child more than anyone else.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2008, 11:59 AM
    We actually can't answer this since the answer depends on the terms of your visitation schedule.

Generally, if the move will prevent the exercise of the current visitation schedule, then she can't move without the permission of the court. But if there is no court ordered visitation schedule, then its likely she can

As previously said, if its not a move but a vacation, then its not a problem.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 13, 2008, 07:31 PM

I have to agree... there are so many variables that can come into a situation like this. Each custody agreement is different so you'll have to read over it, or contact your lawyer (if you had one). If the papers don't specify anything about her leaving the state, then you may be out of luck.
    I'm am not sure if you can approach the court and adjust the custody agreement/rules to stop her from leaving, that is something you'll have to discuss with a lawyer.
    Definitely contact someone, check this out. Don't sit by and let her take your son without doing whatever you can to fight it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a wife take a child out of state [ 7 Answers ]

In Florida can a woman take her child out of state without consent of her husband and the child's father if no legal separation, divorce or child custody has been court ordered?

NY State Return -Wife No SSN/ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing 1040NREZ for the year 2007 as Married Non Resident Alien, inputting my SSN. I need to file NY State Return as non resident to get the refund. I have to file as "Married filing separately" only. But in the state return, what should I write for spouse SSN/ITIN since she has none of this?...

Wife taking the child out of state [ 3 Answers ]

In Texas, what is the penalty if the wife moves out of state with the children with out telling the husband?

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

Ex-wife moved out of state [ 2 Answers ]

Yes me and my ex-wife fought it out in court for custody of my 11 yr old daughter I was awarded joint custody and only 5 months after our divorce and 4000 dollars later she abused my dauhter nothing major just pulled her hair and twisted her arm. But was enough for me to go ballistic. Once I...

View more questions Search