Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keldav99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2006, 08:24 PM
    How level should it be.
    We have just installed our first above ground pool. It is an 18' round pool with metal poles that hold up the liner (Intex brand). We have checked the water level and found that the difference in water level height is approx. 3-1/2 inches from one side of the pool to the other. Is this a huge safety problem? If not, the uneven water level does not bother us, however if it may cause the pool to collapse, I want to fix it. Is it really dangerous, or will it be OK until we can find a more level spot next year?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 22, 2006, 04:40 AM
    You need to be as close to perfectly level as possible. With it not level, your pool is getting "pulled" toward the high end.

Yes, it could collapse. How soon from now, I cannot tell you... but if it were me I would not wait until next year to correct it.

To be sure, I'd call a local pool supply/maintenance company and tell them what model pool you have and describe the 3.5" difference and get their opinion too.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2006, 05:01 AM
    Hi,
    I just finished tearing down a 15 x 30 by 4 ft deep above ground pool; after having it up for the last 24 yrs! No fun!
    My wife and I installed it ourselves, and it's really been a lot of fun through the years, until now; we don't use it anymore with the children gone from home.
    But, to your question, our pool had many, many pages of installation instructions. The MOST important one was:
    The ground MUST be not more than 1/4 inch off level, all the way across, all directions. I actually borrowed a "transit" and a level rod from an engineer friend. I leveled the "level transit", then my daughter (10 yrs old then), held the level rod all around the pool area, taking readings, to be sure all points were within 1/4 inch of each other. Took a lot of time, digging out a little more, and adding some more sand here and there.
    I would think that over 1 inch difference would be OK, but not as much as you say. I would "tear it back down", and re-level your ground area.
    Since we live in the Appalachain Mountains, I hauled in sand, putting it about 3 inches deep all around the bottom, then tamped it down, before putting the pool cover over it... keeps small rocks from tearing a hole in the pool liner later on. Best of luck.
    keldav99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Thanks, (both of you) for your help. I will tear it down and start again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Yes perfect, I had one that was not that much off that sent a flood of water into my neighbors yard one night when the wind hit it also.
    tammy_mick2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2011, 07:12 PM
    Can you just add block to raise the side that the water is high on?
    wolfywolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
    Since it is rare anyone will can PERFECTLY level the ground for these pools I do not recommend them unless you are a professional construction foreman

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

DX9 Level driver. [ 9 Answers ]

Can anybody please help? I've installed a game from a CD rom, but when I try to play the game, I'm getting a message I need a DX9 level driver. Can any body tell me if I can download this driver, and where do I get it from? Thanks for any help. Nobsdad.

Help with shower stall that is not level [ 2 Answers ]

My house is 15 years old, built on a slab and in notoriously shifting red clay soil in Mississippi. My corner shower stall floor (fiberglass with glass enclosure) has always pooled water in one corner--drain is in the center-- and I assume that means it was not level when installed. I am pretty...

Best concrete to use to level floor? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I covered a concrete patio and am now is used as a sunroom. The room is 10' by 10' and slopes 2". I would prefer to have a level floor. I see there are self leveling products but I don't think that is necessary as I can trowel concrete no problem. Is it OK to us basic concrete without...

Low HCG Level [ 0 Answers ]

I found I am pregnant and the first day of my last period is 12/2/04. I went to the hospital because of pain and they said I had a bacteria infection, that maybe causing the pain. They tested my hcg level and the doctor said it was too low, it had a level of 73. She said either I am too early or...

View more questions Search