Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marlibrum1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Asbestos siding removal/covering
    I have just purchased a home in Norfolk VA that has asbestos siding. I would like to find out if I can remove it, and replace with Certianteed siding panels, or can I place the panels directly on top of the original asbestos.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2006, 02:23 PM
    The removal and disposal of asbesos will be very very costly. It has to have certified disposal people and there are very strict laws. As long as the fibers do not get airborne ( liablity to workers if it does) you can put other siding over it ( but watch as it often cracks into pieces easy (if it is the type I am thinking of)

It would be best to get some prices from licenced contractors who are insuranced as to the cost of doing it both ways.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 21, 2006, 02:27 PM
    It far better to wrap up the house and place siding OVER asbestos than it is to do a teardown of asbestos... the hazards involved and the costs involved do not justify the removal(ie.. licensed asbestos contractors.. permits.. etc... )

I would recommend wraping and siding over it..

Here is a link to read more about this
    Asbestos Roofing And Siding On Homes: Environmental Health in Minnesota
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

May 21, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Check w/ your local township about any restriction in you personally removing it. Some areas have no restrictions on the homeowner removing it themselves. When you get a dumpster ask the waste company if they have any policies on asbestos.
    IF any restriction you may have to do what Fr. Chuck said.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 21, 2006, 03:46 PM
    I just recently did some demolition work and rented a dumpster where it clearly stated NO HAZARDOUS MATERIALS... and asbestos was 1st on that list.. so I'm not sure you're going to find a dumpster rental company willing to deal with asbestos... to many problems with hauling and covering without letting it escape from hauler... a licensed asbestos contractor is your best bet if you have mad amounts of $$$$$
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

May 21, 2006, 04:50 PM
    Because asbestos in certain forms has been determined to cause serious health problems, the DEP regulates the removal, collection, transportation, and disposal of Asbestos-Containing Materials (ACM). DEP does not regulate the removal of ACM from private residences unless the residence is an apartment with five or more units. Contact your township or borough to find out if there are any local regulations.

This is from the Dept of Environmental Protection asbestos page. Used as an example. Like I said before contact your township and waste company before you shell out the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asbestos in popcorn ceiling? [ 9 Answers ]

Wife wants me to remove popcorn ceiling from our 1956 ranch. Have heard that from this era it may contain asbestos. Have worked with all sorts of nasty stuff and I know usually dangers with stuff like this is usually repeated, long term exposure. Breathe in enough sand or grain dust over time...

Covering redness [ 1 Answers ]

My skin can get pretty sensitive to heat, temperature change, stress, as well as the usual embarrassment factor. It's an extreme case of flushing in those kinds of situations. Anyway, is there something that I can buy (that is inexpensive) and use to cover up the blotchy redness? I get it on my...

Need Help on Fraudulant Will and Asbestos Litigation for my Father [ 2 Answers ]

I need some guidance. I believe that my mother has swindled my brother and I out of benefits if my Father’s Life Insurance and now an asbestos litigation. My father died 6 years ago from Asbestos cancer. My mother did not show us or send us copies of the will. She said that there was no life...

Covering maple tree roots [ 3 Answers ]

I have two red maples in my lawn whose roots I want to cover with mounds of "river rock" (about the size of tennis balls). Any problem?

Asbestos? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking into replacing my wood siding on my house (Chicago)that was built in 1956. I was going to strip off the old and put some new siding up BUT on further inspection I noticed a drywall type insulation between the plywood and the siding. It's about a 1/2 in thick and it looks like drywall...

View more questions Search