Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gpelletier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2008, 11:25 PM
    I can I get my deposit back for a house that I didn't move in?
    I gave a deposit of $2995 for a house to rent over the labor day weekend. That Sunday I gave a property management company a credit card access check as a deposit. By the next business day on Tuesday, I told them that I changed my mind and rented another house. They said they were going to deposit my check anyway. How can I get that money back? It already cleared from my credit card account.
    :eek:
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Sep 27, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Generally, in order to be able to keep the deposit the landlord must show it incurred damages. If the landlord was able to re-rent the house the next day then damages may be minimal or non-existant.

However, if the landlord turned away other prospective tenants after accepting your deposit and has been unable to re-rent the house since then its damages could exceed the deposit.

You should probably start by making a demand for the return of the money and see how the landlord responds.

You should also look up your local landlord-tenant laws to see if there is anything further that may help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wife is trying to move back into my house. What do I do? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm in Ontario Canada and my ex wife, who now resides in an apartment of her own, has decided that since things aren't moving fast enough for her... she's moving back in. She has been out of the house for at least 6 months and 99.9% of her belongings have been moved to her apartment. The title on...

Landlord withholding deposit and lied about condition of house on move-out [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there we live in Pa and moved into a house on 5/20/07 and upon move in realized the carpeting was disgusting and the entire house smelled like cat urine. Nothing had been cleaned (including a lot of the former tenants toiletries in the bathrooms). We cleaned it ourselves and repeatedly asked the...

Getting rent deposit and security back.did not move in [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a lease in May for a rental to commence in Sept. I gave owner a check for Sept. rent and a check for security. Signed lease, did not get copy back. Due to a sudden change in marital status, I was not able to move in, gave 3 weeks notice via e mail. Did not have owners address or...

Can I put a Lien on a house to get my deposit back? [ 4 Answers ]

I had a fire in my home last year. My insurance paid for me to live in another house, while my was being repaired. I lived in the house, without a lease, for 8 months. When I moved out, I left the place in the same condition as when I moved in, which wasn't the best. The floors, and windows...

It has been 37 days since move-out & still no deposit... HELP! [ 8 Answers ]

Long story short... (ha ha. There is no such thing in this situation :( ) My husband and I were leasing a home in Southern California from the homeowner's daughter (he was put into a rest home). Needless to say the lack of experience on both sides of the situation led to our landlord handing...

View more questions Search