Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 21, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Legal Action from USA to Foreign country
    If a USA citizen is a victim of crime in a foreign country. Can he take legal action once he's back in the states? Or are the legal fees too prohibitive for those of us who aren't rich making it best just to forget about it?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2006, 01:34 PM
    You would have to take any legal action in that foreign country.

At least that was what we (Canadians) were told a few years back when it happened in America. Therefore, we decided to just drop it since the cost would outweigh the benefit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2006, 02:18 PM
    The police of that county would investigate and attempt to arrest the person who did the crime just like in the US. If you believe you have a civil case against them ( but also remember laws in other countries don't work like the US) you would have to do all of the action in that nation.
    Danyael Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Mar 20, 2007, 08:18 PM
    If you're over seas and are the victim of a crime or tort, go to the police immediately. If the police do not help you, then your next stop should be the American Embassy in that country.

If you can, persuade the police to at least file a report with as much detail in it as you can give them/make them put in. This way, if they fail to live up to their empowerment (to serve and protect), then you have some sort of bearing when you contact the embassy or your own local law enforcement in the county/city you reside in here in the US.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pin-action [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any studies or statistics showing the relationship between the weight of the ball used and the number of strikes?

Old Action Movie [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I´m currently looking for a movie-title It´s an Actionmovie about a bunch of boys on a campingtrip in the american woods. 3 of them found a small house deep in the woods with military weapons in it. After getting back to the camp, the smugglers have killed all the other kids. While escaping...

Wedding Video Legal Action [ 2 Answers ]

I got married in December and my wife paid a videographer to videotape our wedding. We gave him a deposit of $100 with the rest of the money to be paid upon receipt of the video. However, the videographer is no longer returning our phone calls or messages on his cell phone. He spoke with my wife...

US citizen working in foreign country and 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

For a US citizen working as a contractor in foreign country for a US company, does he/she needs a 1099 from the US company? Amount is over $600.

View more questions Search