Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shaedeemac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Collapsed trachea and choking on food connected?
    My 5 year old chihuahua/poodle suffers from a collapsed trachea. She is normally OK but she does have her fits. She has started choking on food or treats. She has not choked on her regular dog food that I know of but I am not always in the room when she eats. I know that people food is not the best for our four-legged friends, but I have shared Cheez-it's and Cheetos -her favorites- and she has choked on both of them. They aren't exactly hard things for her to eat and she has never choked on them before now. It seems to be a recurring thing and has happened at least 3 times in the past week alone. Could this be from the collapsed trachea? Is it something I should worry about. She usually gets a treat as I leave the house and I am worried now that she may choke and have a serious problem and I won't be there. Or that I can't help her even if I AM here. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!!
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Sep 26, 2008, 09:49 AM

Choking is also a symptom of rabies, which can be silent as well as the more common virulent, foaming at the mouth variety.
    The collapsed trachea, it's like trying to swallow while holding your nose pinched closed. More difficult than it would normally be. If you feel your dog is suffering, get a vet's advice, maybe even make the decision to put her down. Also the types of food shaped like Cheerios, with a hole in the centers can be safer because if swallowed whole are less likely to obstruct the airway
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Sep 27, 2008, 11:54 AM

Bring your dog to a vet if you are really concerned...

Having said that a collapsed trachea is apparent when your dog is sounding like she's trying to hurl up a piece of something in her throat and nothing comes up. It's when the trachea is closing so she needs to push air out to reopen.

If she's choking on those food items that you like to give she may have another type of condition. Try not giving her hard dry things to chew on. It might be safer to give her small moist treats, either made for dogs or perhaps something human like cheese..

Check to see if she chokes on moist and soft items as well... if she does then you might be dealing w/ the same thing I am with one of my dogs. She is unable to eat dry food as well... so I soak it. I won't take any chances w/ my girl... Anyhow, let me know how it goes... Good luck w/ her. Xo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppie vomiting and choking [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my cocker spaniel puppie for 2 days and since we got him home, he has been sick 3 times and keeps vomiting. He keeps crying! He is eating and drinking fine and doesn't have diahorea. I am really worried about him, please can you help me?

My Rotweiler collapsed [ 10 Answers ]

My Rotweiler got up from laying on the floor and when she got up she collapsed. She wouldn't get up. I laid there with her for an hour and finally she decided to get up. I was possibly thinking that she might have had a small heart attack but I am not sure. It is about two hours later and she is...

Choking Daschund [ 2 Answers ]

My miniature daschund has been having trouble with choking for about a month now. When she eats she starts shaking and choking on food and a really thick clear mucus. I have had her to 2 vets and neither one gave me an answer. One vet did blood tests and said they came out perfect. So this just...

Murray's 22' Push choking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray's 22' Puch mover for 2 years. I did not get the gas out of tank durning the winter. Now the mover is choking - start for 5 seconds then died. Could you please help me out of this problem? Thanks.

Choking in Miami [ 2 Answers ]

Dear wise men or women, Every time my two daughters take a shower in their bathroom up the line from my bathroom,mine is last on the line next to septic line, the toilet in my bathroom starts to bubble up,quickly rise, sometimes overflowing. With all this action comes a strong sewer gas smell. We...

View more questions Search