Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hard_times Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Sep 25, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Getting the confidence to be with someone new.
    Hey I'm having some real trouble dealing with one of the results of a nasty break up. I'm 20 and last month my first love of 1.5 years broke it off with me, I was devastated, still am obviously, she was my first in every sense of the word, and now we have broken up I feel its hard to imagine being with another girl. I was never someone who tried for one night stands with girls, it literally wouldn't turn me on, the thought ofbeing with someone you weren't sure 100% liked you felt uncomfortable to me, I am a worryier I guess, maybe not selfish enough with my own feelings, its just the idea, of being in a comfortable loving relationship was such a turn on for me, and now being on my own (still have lots of friends) but I'm terrified of being with someone I don't truly know, but after a year and a half of healthy sex its natural my desire for it has gone up! I am too and fro with my feelings sum days the idea of being with sumone new again is such a buzz, other days I feel sick at the thought of not finding someone as good as my ex. My trust issues in the fairer have been hit hard I know that, should these thoughts about other girls not even be on the agenda yet? Any advice? Thanks people.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 01:49 PM
    Be patient, your feelings are normal.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Give yourself time to heal and the rest will happen naturally. You will meet other girls that you like. As you get to know them you will develop feelings and your trust will grow.
    redwee74 Posts: 74, Reputation: 11

Sep 25, 2008, 01:58 PM

I agree with tal. The feelings are natural, here is the thing first loves are the hardest. You can't see yourself with anyone else and you still think she was perfect. You will find someone out there who is a better fit. Believe me, you may go through several but eventually one will click with you and then your first you will be able to look back at and realize how much you learned and enjoyed about her but she was not meant for you. It just takes time and patience. There are others out there. I never had the stomach for one night stands either. I thought they brought me down as a person and in the end I am the one who has to look at myself in the mirror everyday. So just hang in there and give her space don't contact her or any of that. It will be great again. Good Luck.
    kminni01 Posts: 36, Reputation: 4

Sep 25, 2008, 02:03 PM

I understand that this is very hard and overwhelming for you, but things will get better and you will eventually meet new girls and hopefully put yourself out there to find someone new. When my boyfriend dumped me I was devastated because I was sure he was the only one for me and it was a terrible feeling being without him everyday, but I was even more upset about how the whole break up made me afterwards; depressed and antisocial. So, what I did was take a box and just put everything that reminded me of him and everything that he ever gave me and put it in that box and stuck it in my closet where I couldn't see it and eventually my mind moved away from him and onto someone different. I helped me and maybe it will work for you too, but at least just try and get your mind off the whole situation because it will really help you in the end no matter how hard it is at first just keep yourself busy and just live you life again. Start anew! I wish you the best of luck and I know you'll find someone just as good as your ex if not better. ;) Good luck to you sir!

<3 kt

Sep 25, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Cheers guys.. oh yeah I definantly given space, I couldn't handle getting back with her even if that was an option! I think that's one sign I've made a little bit of progress over the last month.. coming to that realisation. When you say it will be great again you mean in the future with someone else yeah? I'm not one of those people looking for methods of getting her back, I'm forcing myself to have some pride, even if I'm faultering now and then.

Sep 25, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Thanks kt, that's good advice with the possesions and stuff, I got rid of it all, sept sum clothes that I like, I'm being selfish with them! Thanks for the best wishes too:)... I'm starting my life again as best as I can, its been made harder since I found out an ex friend of 4 years who I work with has been hitting on her didn't know how to react to that... So even at work there's horrible reminders of her. Im also forcing myself to meet new people, and talk to new girls, its just I know deep down I'm not ready for anything, even though I really want to be! Maybe its because I don't want to be on my own when I found out she has a new guy, sounds a bit pathetic but this sucks!
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Sep 25, 2008, 03:31 PM

I feel the same way too =/
    Fredj88 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Sep 25, 2008, 05:07 PM

I feel the same, why do I feel like I'm so ugly and my girl was so sexy like I didn't deserve her is this normal? Why do I feel no attraction to other girls, why do I feel like I'm going to be single for the rest of my life now :(
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Sep 25, 2008, 05:30 PM

Guys,

A breakup takes an immense self-confidence toll. Its normal. You need to find what makes you feel better about yourself and embrace it. Try working out, running, joining a team, volunteering, any number of things... It really helps.

EDIT: Here's 9 pages of things to try...
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...kup-78597.html
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2008, 05:36 PM

TIME.

Don't rush it.

Take your time.

TRUST ME... Do nothing.

It just happens. You don't need to speed it up or try to control it.

As long as you are 100% cut off and trying new things without your past, you will be 100% fine in TIME.

Sep 26, 2008, 01:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredj88 View Post
    I feel the same, why do i feel like im so ugly and my girl was so sexy like i didn't deserve her is this normal? Why do I feel no attraction to other girls, why do i feel like im going to be single for the rest of my life now :(
    I feel very similar to you mate, When I met my ex everyone would always ask how she managed to get me! All of her friends said it, but after a year and a half, and falling for her, it felt like it turned around, she grew up and I stayed with the feeling of needing her, and now she's broke it off, I don't feel I can meet someone else or at least someone I won't try and critisise in comparison, I will take time to myself, and pray it gets better, I spent the week with a different girl last week and it just didn't go anywhere, and I so wanted it to even though I wasn't properly ready.. I feel pretty messed up at the mo, but I'm desperate to not show it, she doesn't deserve my attention any longer.

Oct 9, 2008, 10:28 AM
    The shock of being single.
    Hey guys I have posted on this forum before about my problem dealing with a break up, and I'm glad to say its been 2 months of NC and I'm getting better.

The problem I'm having is finding what I need to move on and truly get back my confidence! I have only had one girlfriend which lasted a year and a half (im 20) it was really serious and up to the end I couldn't still even imagine being with anyone else. I have started going to town loaads with my mates and I have been getting interest from a few girls.. one of them last night took me back to her apartment! Was completely up for it and I thought I was too! And then right before we got it on I couldn't get in the mood! I couldn't believe it ! I ended the night just focusing on her (if you know what I mean! ) which was still fun, I was just in shock I wasn't able to get as excited with this new girl, as I had done in the past with my ex! I never had any sex problems with my ex, EXCEPT when we first met, for the first month of getting physical I had to slow things down a bit because she was my first! And I duno I felt I had to find out she'd stick around,. but after that relationship, I have lost a lot of trust in girls views on relationships, but after a year of a half of sex I never thought id go back to square one again! Is this going to happen with every girl I meet? Because at the moment I'm a 20 year old student at uni and girls don't want slow relationships, they want fun, and so do I! Its just after last night , I don't feel the confidence to have one night stands, is this bad?
    . Are these feelings normal? Is it lame to want to have a relationship before I get physical with a girl? Because I know if I didn't feel like this, id have had so much experience with girls already! Its just I can't get into flings at the mo.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 10:43 AM

One night stands seem fun, but they do more harm than good to people that actually care about quality relationships. Sounds like you are one of those people.

So stop dating with sex in mind and those situations will come up less. An invitation back to a girl's apartment (whether first night or tenth) leads to one thing, so don't go there if that's not what you want.

Also, your memories of your ex should be a source of encouragement about how you CAN be in a good relationship. Please don't use those memories to COMPARE current dating endeavors. No girl deserves that.

The only comparisons you need to be doing is comparing your list of wants/needs/goals for dating/girlfriends to the girl you are out with. If the comparison holds up, keep dating, if not...

Lastly, why not just enjoy going out with your mates, girls and guys, and enjoying yourselves? Don't look for nor pursue anything more than relaxed companionship. A legitimate dating option will present itself.
    Fredj88 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Oct 9, 2008, 12:10 PM

I'm in the same boat being single, except I wish I was in college now they I work full time meeting girls my age is so much harder.
    NorthernNiceGuy Posts: 238, Reputation: 75

Oct 9, 2008, 12:27 PM

Have to spread some rep before I can agree with you JB, but you're totally right.

A legitimate dating option will present itself eventually. There are plenty of girls not interested in one night stands, and frankly those are the ones I want to run into.

You're not that guy so don't pretend to be.
    Dreamer Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

Oct 9, 2008, 12:42 PM

If I'm reading your post correctly, you have only been broken up with your ex girlfriend for 2 months? Or have you been split for more than 2 months but recently enforced the NC rule?

Either way, it sounds to me like these emotions for you from your breakup are still very raw and you need more time. It is a process, it does take some reflection of the relationship so you can better understand yourself & your needs for future relationships. Like JB said though, it's so important that you don't compare your current and future dating experiences/relationships with your past girlfriend. It will only bring agony for both you and especially your new girl. This is where the raw emotions come in. Your past relationship is still fresh on your mind and that makes making comparisons an easy target. I think this shows that it's a little too soon to be pursuing anything.

Please understand that I'm not saying you shouldn't have fun, etc. All I'm saying is that right now may be the best time for you to just enjoy hanging out with your friends and not look for (or agree to) one night stands or dating relationships. On this subject, please don't feel lame because you just couldn't get in the mood at her apartment. It shows that you simply don't have the closure you need yet from your last love. One night stands are not for everyone and you should never feel pressured into thinking that it's the "normal" and there's something wrong with you if you don't really enjoy it. My advice is to take it slow. Give some thought into what you're really looking for in a mate: your needs, your desires, your expectations if any. That will make it much easier on you to determine in the future if someone is worth getting to know right off the bat. In the meantime, just enjoy your life and don't put any unnecessary pressures on yourself to be a certain way at this stage in the game. Just be you, take things one day at a time and believe me, the right gal will come along when you least expect it. Who knows - she may be looking to get close with you and have a connection before the sexual interaction starts too. Wouldn't that make you feel a bit more at ease?

I sincerely hope this helps you in some way. Good luck and just remember to take it easy on yourself. Have fun! What's right for one isn't right for another. So just in case you're ever feeling like someone is trying to mold and shape you into being a certain way - tell them to let you live your life and they can live theirs. :)

Oct 10, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Thanks everyone. Yeah it has been 2 months, and id say a month and a half of NC, which I'm glad about.. I think how I have been reacting is maybe deep down just a childish defence I'm trying to put up , to protect me from feeling crap about hearing who she's been with.. but then again I am having fun, its just after what I been through, kissing a girl in a club and going back to hers are too major different things for me at the moment, It probably doesn't help that a lot of my guy mates are proper players. And they think I am too, but I'm really not! Out of all of them I have had the longest relationship, even though one of them has been with about 60 girls by the age of 21! which I couldn't even imagine doing.. but he's not a very nice guy to be honest. Its just hard trying to know what to do, I'm still feeling raw about the lost of a close friend, and all the companionship. Its just I seem to forget that the girls I meet in clubs are probably a lot different to what I'm looking for in one. Just except for my nights out I don't have much going for me in the social department, I don't have many girls that are close mates, just people who I have had small flings with, which makes it really awkward trying to get in contact with again! I am in my final year of uni, so I'm trying to solely focus on that, its just hard, I always had an outlet from uni stress ,which was seeing the person I cared about. Sounds a bit soppy, but true, thanks for the advice though everyone, I'm just glad I have kept all my friends close.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 06:24 AM

Relax fella, as your obviously learning a lot about yourself, and doing a good job identifying your needs, and concerns, and really just need to be patient getting to a solution.

Your on the right track though.

Oct 19, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Gah! Why don't I feel closure!
    Its been two months since my ex broke up with me, and I still don't feel like I have any closure. Because I still keep trying to pinpoint a REAL reason for why it ended. I don't want her back AT ALL , and I haven't broke NC in 2 months proving that, its just I am unable to go out with other girls until I can have a clear mind about why things happened, I feel maybe it ended because things just got boring, neither of us we're making a real effort any more. Its just when I think about that, I then think, "why did we stop making an effort?". What did I do? She just turned 18, I'm 20, almost finished uni, she still hasn't started uni. And we broke up after a holiday , which tbh, was not as passiaonate as our first holiday , maybe that's why it ended? No passion? Because she was my first girlfriend, I've started thinking could it even have been the sex? which has rele got me down, I thought it had been great, at least for the first year, she always says she liked it, ( I was one of those guys who asked what she thought of it :S) and she initiated it plenty of times. Everyone girl I talked too, say it wouldn't have lasted so long, if you had not been good, we were having sex up to the week we broke up. THen it ended, with no definite reason, just "i feel different". The reason I am pinpointing on the sex, is because until I get my confidence back I don't feel able to be intimate with someone new, it took a month of being comfortable with my ex, before I became the highly sex charged man I am! (lol) Its just yeah, id hate to think it was because of that. Im in great shape (like health, and toned etc) and intend to stay that way, but I still can't get the confidence to be like "what the hell, do what you want, stop worrying about what they think" gaa :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Confidence [ 2 Answers ]

I have no confidence and very low self esteem. This has a very big impact on all aspects of my life. I am forever putting myself down, I cannot accept compliments although people tell me all the time I am an attractive women. I allow people to use me because I do not think much of myself. I...

NO confidence [ 1 Answers ]

Im meant to be going college today to talk about what I want to do.. And I'm scared I've got confidence in other aspects of my life but starting college is scary I got attackd in school and dropped out and fell into a depression and startd self-harming I'm trying to get over that its working but...

Where has my confidence gone? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you pick yourself up after you have fallen so deep into this hole. I have become the lowest of the low. Myself confidence is lost... I don't have a grasp at anything anymore. I feel as if I have lost my ground, no I don't have a ground anymore... It's like I am floating. I've completely...

Where has my confidence gone? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you pick yourself up after you have fallen so deep into this hole. I have become the lowest of the low. Myself confidence is lost... I don't have a grasp at anything anymore. I feel as if I have lost my ground, no I don't have a ground anymore... It's like I am floating. I've completely...

View more questions Search