Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steve D. Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2006, 03:33 PM
    Mower won't stay running
    Mower starts but dies in 2 secs. With the air cleaner off I can keep it running by choking it with my hand. Newer briggs 6 hp. Any thoughts please!
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Did you use fuel stabilizer? Or was it just brought out of storage... anyway, replace the airfilter if it looks dirty anyway.

Sounds like the carbs clogged and needs to be taken off and torn apart and blown out with carb cleaner and compressed air.
    sunnyd Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Remove the carb. With the carb. Off, take the bowl off ( the bowl is the bottom of the carb. Where the gas is ) after you have the bowl off you will see a pick up tube that picks up the fuel from the bowl, look inside of that tube and you'll see a VERY LITTLE hole a VERY LITTLE hole, you need to clean that hole out, with a little wire. It most likley is plugged up, this is very common. Good luck :)
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 6, 2007, 10:39 PM
    If you clean it with a small wire and it does not work, you will want to remove main nozzle and pilot jet and clean good all orifices need to be clean. You have a fuel starve problem.
    Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Weedeater won't stay running [ 5 Answers ]

I have a convertible craftsman weedeater that has run like a champ - until now! I can get it to run briefly, a few minutes at most, then it dies and will not restart. After reading some similar posts I am beginning to suspect either an in tank filter or the inlet filter on the card Sound...

Mower won't stay running [ 2 Answers ]

My mother inlaw has a JD riding mower that's about 8 yrs old and has been in the weather for about the last 6 mnths, and it won't stay running unless I put the booster cables on it and jump it from my truck. It will run as long as they are hooked up but the moment I disconnect them it dies.Is this...

Can't keep mower running [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: I have a murry(briggs and stratton) walk behind lawn mower 5.0 HP and am having trouble keeping the thing running. I start it up and it stalls after about a minute of mowing. I tried starting it on a flat concrete surface and it ran for a minute or two then stalled again. ...

Should I stay or should I go? [ 8 Answers ]

I found out about a month and half ago that my boyfriend of 10 months has been cheating with a woman he works with. I must admit I was in the wrong because I found out by snooping through his cell phone records. He was seeing a nurse at the hospital where he works. When I initially found out, I...

Should I stay or should I go? [ 10 Answers ]

Just want to ask your opinion on this... please advise I have a male friend whom I considered as my bestfirend. Believe it or not I'm fifteen years older than him. We known each other for more than five years and that years of friendship is not always good. We have lots of arguments on certain...

View more questions Search