Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Sep 24, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Getting going again after "setting up."
    I am a newbie in cycling.

I have a '98 Yamaha 650, v-twin that I bought about three years ago. The first year I put maybe a few hundred miles on it. It has "set up" in a utility building for about two years.

I hear that if I can get it started, run it. I also hear I need to drain the gas out and fill up again. Then I hear that there needs to be some cleaning inside operational parts.

This bike had been fully serviced just before I got it. It had "set up" with the previous owner also before the servicing and sale to me.

This is a nice bike, in good condition with limited mileage on it. I haven't really gotten very far into the sport or this bike.

Have I given enough info for you to help me know how to get going again? Am I likely to need a new battery? Is it possible I may be able to charge this one? Does running the bike replace "juice" into the battery?

Thanks.

IM4U
    Hope UR4Me
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Oct 2, 2008, 06:39 PM

After sitting that long with gas in the tank it is likely that the carb can build up 'gunk' and varnish. Drain the tank and refill with fresh gas and get yourself a bottle of Sea Foam. You should be able to find it any auto parts store. Just follow the directions on the bottle. It may take a few tanks to clean out the carb but it worked on my Shadow after sitting for 3 years. You will want to change the oil and the plugs as well. As far as the battery, if you can charge it then great. Otherwise you will end up replacing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

Rheem heat pump thermostat "EM" setting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rheem model no. RHQA 1000B heat pump, but previous homeowner left no manual for it. I am puzzled at the "EM" setting on the thermostat. I would also like to download/obtain an operation manual for this unit.

Ceiling Fan Switch Replaced; Fan no longer has an "off" setting [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, The chain for my ceiling fan broke inside the switch. I bought a replacement switch that is identical to the old switch (same part number). I had a professional install the new switch. After he left, I discovered that the fan will not turn off (speeds are: 1. slow, 2. fast, and 3. very...

How do you install an acrylic shower receptor using "setting bed" cement? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you install an acrylic showwer receptor using "setting bed" cement? The sub floor is good and the hole for the drain is 5" as recommended. How do you actually form the setting bed so the receptor is level? 48" x 34" and that's all the space I have to work with.

View more questions Search