Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hope1999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 01:40 PM
    4th grade math
    Thanks for some help. I need it!

There are 16 pens. There are 3 tmes as many red as blue pens. There are 4 more green pens than red. How many of each color are there?

I can't figure it out.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 01:58 PM

I think you mistyped the question, unless the solution involves fractional pens!

The way to approach this type of problem is to write down what you are told as a series of equations, then look to see how these equations can be combined to simplify and get you answer. Lets define:

R = number of red pens
    B = number of blue pens
    G = number of green pens.

You know that there are 16 pens, so:
    R+B+G = 16

Next, you are told that there are 3 times as many red pens as blue, so:

R = 3B, or B = 3/R

Finally, you are told that there are 4 more green pens than red, or:

R+4=G, or R = G-4

You now have 3 equations in 3 unknowns. You can substitute back into the first equation for both B and G in terms of R. Then solve for R.
    jennysolano18 Posts: 36, Reputation: 4

Sep 24, 2008, 03:28 PM

There is 2 blue pens, 5 red pens, and 9 green pens.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennysolano18 View Post
    There is 2 blue pens, 5 red pens, and 9 green pens.
    Let's not do her homework for her, she has to learn to do it on her own. We can't be there for her tests.

We can help and tutor a member to get to an answer, but it is against the TOS of the site it outright give an answer.

Sep 24, 2008, 03:44 PM

I am sorry I don't mean to be rude or anything but it doesn't say anything in the TOS about giving out straight answers. It says to only post questions and answers to questions. All I did was answer the persons question.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 03:46 PM
    I stand corrected, it is not in the TOS, but in an announcement at the top of the homework sections.

Ask Me Help Desk - Announcements in Forum : Homework Help

Sep 24, 2008, 04:06 PM

I just gave her one answer I really don't see anything wrong with that. Or are you going to tell me you never got answers from your friends when you were little? Every one does it at least once in there life.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 05:05 PM

I think it is just a moral standard. Sure we can help her cheat... or we can help her learn.

I think she would benefit more from learning HOW to do it.

Just like I think people would benefit more from NOT taking things personally ;)

Besides your answer is wrong because 3 X the # of blue pens (which you said was 2) doesn't equal 5 (the # of red pens you said there were).

But I still think you are cool.

Anyway, OP.. ebaines is right... either the question is unanswerable, written incorrectly, or you have pieces of pens... and we know that can't be the case because then you would have ink ALL over the place and you would probably get detention for it!
    jiturana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 02:08 AM

There are 16 pens. There are 3 tmes as many red as blue pens. There are 4 more green pens than red. How many of each color are there?

Let R be the number of red pen
    B blue pen
    G Green pen

Then according to problem R=3B and G=R+4

So R+B+G=16 => R+R/3+R+4=16
    Solve For R And get value for R,B,G

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3rd grade math [ 6 Answers ]

(8+1)+5=8+(?+5)

5th grade math [ 6 Answers ]

This is a 5th grade math problem. This is not a tricky question. This is a real math question so don't say that a bus has no legs. There are 7 girls in a bus. Each girl has 7 backpacks. In each backpack, there are 7 big cats. For every big cat there are 7 little cats. Question: How...

8th grade math [ 1 Answers ]

of all pairs of consecuitive integers whose sum is greater then 100 find the pair whose sum is the least.

5th grade math [ 3 Answers ]

My son came home with homework tonight. Problem solving. Question is : Yasu is making programs for the next band concert. He is using tan, gray, ivory and lemon colored paper. The cover design will be printed in either black, maroon, or purple ink. List all the different combinations he can...

View more questions Search