Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xfactor_1024 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Unsecured Debt Collection
    I am currently living in South Carolina and we do not have any garnishment of wages laws. I am wondering what legal actions can be brought against me if I am unable to repay an unsecured loan to the bank?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 08:14 AM

They will attempt to get a judgement against you (if they haven't already.) Then that judgement stays in place for (usually in most places) 10 years. They can turn the debt over to collection agencies. They can file the liens against property you own (your homestead is usually exempt - again varies by location.) Ultimately they can't really DO anything to you other than bug you to death and ruin your credit. Some states allow for various types of seizures, but there will be stuff that's exempt.

Someone will come along and tell you where to find your state's specific laws.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinmommy View Post
    They will attempt to get a judgement against you (if they haven't already.) Then that judgement stays in place for (usually in most places) 10 years. They can turn the debt over to collection agencies. They can file the liens against property you own (your homestead is usually exempt - again varies by location.) Ultimately they can't really DO anything to you other than bug you to death and ruin your credit. Some states allow for various types of seizures, but there will be stuff that's exempt.

Someone will come along and tell you where to find your state's specific laws.

And they also can renew the judgment for the same time so it pretty much goes on forever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unsecured debt [ 3 Answers ]

I'm going to court for a debt that I can't afford to pay. Can you tell me what's going to happen? I live in Atlanta, Ga.

Senior - unsecured debt [ 4 Answers ]

I owe a lot of money to various credit card companies due to changes in my circumstances. I am beiing sued, but have so far avoided the subphenia. (They only came to my house today). I have not spoken with, or acknowledged any debt, either by phone or in writing. I am 68 years old and live...

3rd Party Legal Entitlement on Unsecured Debt [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Even though this is my first post on AskMeHelpDesk, I have frequented the site on a semi-regular basis. Generally, my questions are already answered. But, I think I have a problem with this one. :confused: I have an Unsecured Debt, (Credit Card), that was charged off and sold to a...

View more questions Search