Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhannigan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 12:40 PM
    My craftsman lawn mower starts but the blades do not engage when prompted.
    Can anyone help?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Is this a tractor? What do you need to normally do to get the blades rotating?
    jhannigan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Yes this is a tractor... After you start the mower there is an engage stick that you push up and hook to the right to hold it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 03:17 PM

With the engine NOT running get down and watch the movement of that stick and how it affects the belt to the blades pulley or the pulley running from balde tot blade. All those belts should get very tight when you engage the blade. If not you have a broken belt, stretched belt or a spring has fallen of the spring tensioner pulley.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Lawn Tractor Mower Won't Engage [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 HP Craftsman Lawn Tractor, model # 917.274811. It starts fine but the mower won't engage. The attachment clutch lever seems to have the same tension, and the drive belt seems fine. I've looked and can't see any obstructions. Any ideas?

Craftsman Riding Mower dies when I engage blades [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a Craftsman 24HP riding mower 2 months ago. Just today when I was mowing the lawn it died in the middle of cutting. After I disengaged the cutting blades, I was able to re-start it. But every time I rotate the engagement lever the engine dies. The belt/pulleys seem to be working...

Mower Blades won't engage [ 2 Answers ]

When I pull the blade switch on my Craftsman 16.5 hp riding mower, nothing happens. I had this problem previously, and it was the PTO. Since that was a year ago, I really don't think it's that. Recently when the blades wouldn't engage, I checked/wiggled the wiring to the PTO, and the blades did...

Troybuilt mower blades won't engage [ 4 Answers ]

PTO not engaging

MTD blades will not engage on riding mower [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Lowe's MTD mower. The blades will not engage.

View more questions Search