Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlwaysNeedsHelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Bathtub won't drain, water backs up into it from the bathroom sink
    My bathtub won't drain. Gel drain cleaner did nothing except come back up into the tub. Now I have to scoop it and the water out. When I put water in the bathroom sink, it drains but the water level in the tub rises. Both are upstairs in the same room. The toilet in the same room flushes but the water level in the tub does not change when it is flushed. The kitchen sink drains (I don't think it causes the tub water level to rise). In fact, the tub water level rises when I don't seem to be using water anywhere else! Any ideas? Where could the water be coming from?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 10:55 AM
    The drain from your sink and tub come together and are blocked prior to the toilet. Remove the overflow plate from the tub and rod there or remove the sink trap and rod into the verticle pipe from the wall. Stop with the chemicals and do the rodding.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2008, 04:47 AM
    Bob nailed it! Unscrew and remove the overflow plate,(The one with the drain lever) and pull out the tub stopper.(see image) You now have a clear shot at the trap. The way you were going in through the drain it ran you square into a tee that you can't get around. Now feed the cable( 1/4" best with a small tip). You can rent a Ridgid K50 sink cable. About 2' down you will run into the bend of the trap. Crank and push at the same time to work around it. Your blockage will be found in the lateral pipe going to the stack. You shouldn't have to put out more then 10 or 12 feet. I have found tub and shower clogs to be mostly hair and the snake should auger into it and pull it back. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Water backs up into downstairs bathroom sink. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello HELP! My situation is... water backs up into downstairs bathroom sink apparently after the upstairs shower has been used which is directly above the downstairs bathroom. Our house is around 40 years old. We have had people there before and opened up the wall on either side of the...

Upstairs bathroom sink backs up when neighbor uses theirs [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2 bdrm duplex (about 30 years old) and my upstairs bathroom sink is backing up primarily when my neighbor who also owns the property uses their sink. I can hear them plunging it out sometimes and my side starts to back up and spit black sediment and sludge. I have tried draino and it no...

Slow laundry drain backs up now that I do dishes in the sink [ 1 Answers ]

My laundry drains to a grey-water field and I've had no problems with it for several years. Doing a kitchen remodel now and need to wash my dishes in the laundry room sink. Now my washing machine (which shares a line with the sink) overflows every time. I have had it snaked, vented, throw enzymes...

Washer Rinse Water Backs Up in Kitchen Sink [ 5 Answers ]

My washing machine rinse water backs up into my double kitchen sink and my wonderful plumber is stumped. I'm only able to wash a mini load (which fills up both sinks) as a medium or large load causes my kitchen sinks to overflow. It's been doing this for over a year now and I'm tired of living with...

View more questions Search