Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mp2dtw Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 01:48 AM
    Dirty tap water with inconsistent pressure
    Over the past month or two there've been times when our water pressure has been almost non-existent. During the past couple of days I've noticed that the toilet water isn't clear (it almost looks as though I've put enough milk in to discolor the water). Today, because the water pressure was so low, I decided to just fill the tub rather than try to shower. It got about half-full in maybe 30-40 minutes, but there were black particles (looked/felt like plastic), the larger ones when flattened might cover half a penny. The water also tasted dirty today for the first time. I think that the city might have done something in the street because we've stopped flooding this year--our part of the cul-de-sac used to hold quite a bit of water. Money is tight and I'm afraid of making a wrong move. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Call the city and ask if any work has been done on the city main. You have to find out if this is a internal problem or one caused by the city. Let me know what they said. Regards, Tom

Sep 25, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Call the city and ask if any work has been done on the city main. You have to find out if this is a internal problem or one caused by the city. Let me know what they said. Regards, Tom

Thanks, Tom. It took a little while to get an answer out of the city, but they say they've done nothing this year. The guy I just spoke with said I need to find out whether I have copper or galvanized piping. In the basement, it's clearly copper.
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Sep 25, 2008, 07:41 PM

It sounds like your municipality uses chloramines to disinfect the water. They can deny that this is an issue in the system if they want to, but this is an ongoing issue with every municipal supply that has switched from chlorine to chloramines disinfection. Ask them if they can come out and flush the fire hydants near your home. That will probably take care of the problem. They are supposed to routinely flush anyway. Flushing is now part of the Department of Environmental Protections safe drinking water program.

The black buildup is called bio-film. If it has come loose from the pipes, it probably has clogged your PRV, or the strainer on your RPZ backflow prevention valve. Or, it may have plugged a strainer on your water meter. You can pick up a test gauge from your local hardware. Screw it onto your spigot outside and see what you get. You should be getting 50 or more psi.
    Let us know.
    Al
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2008, 04:22 AM
    Thanks Al,
    Great explanation! I hope you don't mind if I copy it and add it to my data base. Tom

Sep 26, 2008, 04:39 AM

Sure Tom,
    You can always do that. I figure right, or wrong, regardless once we put it on the net. It is public information! But, I certainly appreciate you asking. Have a good day.
    Al

Sep 27, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albinfla View Post
    It sounds like your municipality uses chloramines to disinfect the water. They can deny that this is an issue in the system if they want to, but this is an ongoing issue with every municipal supply that has switched from chlorine to chloramines disinfection. Ask them if they can come out and flush the fire hydants near your home. That will probably take care of the problem. They are supposed to routinely flush anyway. Flushing is now part of the Department of Environmental Protections safe drinking water program.

The black buildup is called bio-film. If it has come loose from the pipes, it probably has clogged your PRV, or the strainer on your RPZ backflow prevention valve. Or, it may have plugged a strainer on your water meter. You can pick up a test gauge from your local hardware. Screw it onto your spigot outside and see what you get. You should be getting 50 or more psi.
    Let us know.
    Al
    Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if we continue having problems. The city insisted they'd done nothing in the past 2-3 years, so I called a plumber. At first he was scratching his head because we have copper piping and then discovered something in our basement that I hadn't understood before. Someone bought a water softner (I guess typically used for people with well water) and hooked it up behind the water heater. I'd always ignored it. I'm hoping the bio-film you mentioned is from that. The plumber's theory is that because it hasn't been maintained gunk (or whatever) accumulated in there causing a dramatic decrease in water pressure. Then the gunk would come through discoloring the water and making it taste very odd. All he did was re-route the water and I had normal water and water pressure. This was yesterday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was all based on this water softner (which looks like the water heater only 1/3 as wide). Cost $50. Keeping my fingers crossed that this was it and that I'd worried about a multi-thousand dollar repair for nothing.

Thanks to you both for taking the time to read my note and coming up with solutions.

Sep 28, 2008, 06:26 AM

Wow, your plumber was cheap! This was not the municipal supply issue this time.

But, bio-film was the issue. This is a common problem with municipal supplies on chloramine disinfection. You should still find out if they use chloramines to treat your water. If they do, and the problem comes back, you'll probably know where to look.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compressor panels too dirty to measure freon pressure? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having problems with my A/C unit. A service technician came to My house, looked at the compressor unit, and told me the panels Were full of debris that he couldn't accurately measure the freon Pressure. He asked to clean the panel for $89, which did not Include the service call, another ...

Outdoor Spigots Have Inconsistent Pressure [ 1 Answers ]

All of my outdoor spigots have inconsistent water pressure. Water comes out, but is splurty, so to speak, i.e. it runs, then stops and splurts for a second, then runs again. I have had a plumber look into this, but he could not fix it or figure out the source of the problem. I need to power wash...

Dirty water [ 3 Answers ]

I have a well and I have dirty water, I poured bleach in it a it started to clean up but now it is dirty again, how can I drain the tank to clean out the tank or what do I need to do to clean up the water

Dirty hot water [ 1 Answers ]

Recently had a new bathroom fixture put into the bath/shower. Our water pressure in there has increased 10 fold. When I turn the hot on full blast, rusty/dirty water comes out. Small whitish/blue pieces of sediment (I think) are coming out. Is this bad?

Dirty hot water! [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water all of a sudden has a tint and looks dirty. This has happened at all places in the house. Could this be a compromised supply pipe perhaps?:confused:

View more questions Search