Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkskittles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2006, 06:54 AM
    What is this stuff called?
    Our house was built in 1969 and the exterior is covered in this awful crushed glass stuff. Any idea what it's called? We're installing an in-wall air conditioner... how do we cut through it?

Thanks!
    Jenn
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 19, 2006, 07:20 AM
    I've heard of people using crushed glass to make a sort of stucco. Is that what it seems to be? I should think a circular saw would take you through that layer easily enough - then you could use a reciprocating saw for the rest of it.
    pinkskittles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2006, 07:35 AM
    Yeah I think glass was used as a "finish" to the stucco. We planned on using a reciprocating saw or a circular saw with a masonry blade, but just wanted to be sure since we'd be cutting through bits of glass, not just stucco.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 19, 2006, 07:48 AM
    You should have no problem.. . and yes, drill a starter hole to get the recip. Blade into and you won't need the circ. Saw.

The recip. Saw won't have any problem with the glass.

PS: I did do some googling and could not come up with what that stuff is called.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 19, 2006, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkskittles
    Our house was built in 1969 and the exterior is covered in this awful crushed glass stuff. Any idea what it's called? We're installing an in-wall air conditioner... how do we cut through it?

Thanks!
    Jenn
    Hey Jenn,

I own a cement block home that back in the 60's my father had SprayCreted.
    SprayCrete is a cement spray coating. This coating has the option of color, ( mine's white) and blowing Mica chips over the surface. Mica reflects light and is easily mistaken for glass. The reason for the chips, ( outside of that they look cool) is that it reflects heat. The Mica Chips and the white finish reflect the sun and heat and that's important in Southwest Florida. That's what I think that you have, (does the glass cut your hands when you rub them over it?) Of course they don't. I have never heard of glass chips used to finish the outside of a house.
    When I installed a wall AC I used a Skill Saw with a masonry blade to make a opening. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Forget What This Movie Is Called! [ 6 Answers ]

Hey,I seen this movie when I was about 12... and I want to see this movie again... BUT the thing is! I can't remember what the title is called... and it's absolutely driving me insane. The movie is about a Man, who's face I think is disfigured... and people in the town think he is the biggest...

Why hasn't he called me after the date? [ 6 Answers ]

I’m a singer in a band, I’m 25 and I’ve never really been in a real relationship before. If I’ve ever been in a loving relationship, it has been short lived and very private. I’ve never had a boyfriend who felt comfortable about introducing me to people as his girlfriend. I think guys see me as a...

I'm Engaged And He Called Me A B**** ! [ 20 Answers ]

My fiancé and I go tin an argument this past weekend and he said f*** the wedding and f*** this relationship, the wedding is off. And this was all because I would not come to an agreement about how much time I would spend don the phone when we get married. The very next day he acted like nothing...

What are these things called? [ 2 Answers ]

What are the slip covers called that comes on jars of cream that you order? I can't locate them and need to order some. If anyone can help me find them, or a cosmetic supplier that would be great! Thanks

He hasn't called me [ 7 Answers ]

I am a little confused right now, I have been talking to a guy for a month now mostly over the phone, we had only seen each other once. We were trying to get to know each other and decided to go on a date last Saturday. I believe that the date went really well, his compliments were endless and we...

View more questions Search