Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Susie Foreman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 09:00 PM
    Puppy chewing on everything
    My cocker spaniel Freckles is one year old. He likes shoes and socks. How do you break a puppy from chewing on everythin?
    Susie
    redwee74 Posts: 74, Reputation: 11

Sep 22, 2008, 10:08 PM

Sounds bad but I can think of 2 ways: Catch him with shoe or sock in mouth and spank him with the other or put them all away where the puppy can not get to them and then leave one old sock out. This sock should have some hot sauce on it. I know the spanking with the other works or did for me but the other I have only heard about.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 10:13 PM

Spanking is not good. A stern NO! And offer him something else. Get him a Kong to chew on. You put a treat inside.

That's what puppies do. They like to chew things.

Kids like to get into things. Keep them away. Just like you do with kids.
    angelaM1985 Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Sep 22, 2008, 10:14 PM

U can get a spray mist bottle and spray his face when he chews it works or u can go to the pet store they have this stuff called bitter apple spray its harmless spray it where he chews and he shouldn't touch it again
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 22, 2008, 10:17 PM

Well for one thing, he is bored and needs another activity! Do you have lots of other toys for him, that are his own?

When you catch him with other things, he needs a sharp reprimand. A simple voice command, but a command with authority, but in a calm assertive manner.

Do not grab the item out of his mouth, make him surrender and drop it. Do not praise him for dropping it! He will then think that it's a game, and he gets rewarded for grabbing an item and then dropping it.

You are not being mean by being firm, you are teaching him that it's unaceptable, just as you would a child that is putting something bad in his or her mouth.

After he has dropped whatever he has in his mouth, wait a few minutes, and then give him his own toy.

Also, do you give him the excersise he needs? You should really start him early with walks everyday, to drain his excess energy, and then he will be less likely to chew on your things.

Good luck! :)
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 22, 2008, 10:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaM1985 View Post
    u can get a spray mist bottle and spray his face when he chews it works or u can go to the pet store they have this stuff called bitter apple spray its harmless spray it where he chews and he shouldnt touch it again
    This teaches the dog nothing but fear! You have to teach a dog by example, and train his mind that he is just not allowed to do certain things, and it is never a good thing to try and scare an animal into behaving.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund Puppy Chewing Problems... [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7mo. Old Daschund puppy. He is the sweetest dog, but he has a MAJOR chewing problem. He has no less than six toys, gets treats twice a day, and has adapted pretty well to potty training. Unfortunately, he chews on other things as well... - carpet - baseboards (he chewed it until...

New puppy - how to discourage chewing on fingers [ 15 Answers ]

We got a "choodle" or "chipoo" or whatever nickname you have for a cross between a chihuahua and a poodle. She is 11 weeks old, and we have had her about a month. So far she is doing pretty well with training. Still having some potty training issues (it's us that really needs to be trained to be...

Puppy biting/chewing her fur [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old female westie. She has periodically chewed the fur on the front of her front legs. I've corrected her every time I've witnessed her in action. But I think she figured it out that she can chew when I'm not around and get away with it because now her front legs have bare spots...

Puppy chewing on rug [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a spray or something you can get to spray on things you don't want puppy to chew on? He seems to have taken a liking to my area rug and nothing seems to deter him from it. He has lots of toys he chews on but ends up back at the rug eventually. He has also started playing with the puppy...

Puppy not chewing food [ 2 Answers ]

My 3 month old cairn terrier literally wolfs down her food without chewing it - is this bad for her and how can I encourage her to chew her food properly?

View more questions Search