Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    selfishways Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2006, 05:16 AM
    HELP: Going from Black Hair to Brown Hair
    Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it.

I naturally have dark brown hair. I then dyed my hair a tinted red colour which looked pretty cool. I then decided to dye it black (permanent) nearly 2 months ago, which I got bored of quickly (was meant to be a blue black, but the blue quickly went).

I want to dye my hair again back to brown. Is there any way of doing? I really would prefer to do it myself rather than go to a salon.

Any advice given will be greatly appreciated.
    X
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Well getting rid of black hair is always the hardest as it's the darkest shade you could have.
    I have had black hair, red hair, light brown.. name it I've had it :)

All I can suggest as you don't want to go to the hairdresser, is buy colour hair dye, start with maybe a dark brown then in a few months do it again buy light brown.

Hope it works.

May 19, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Thanks.
    So a products such as colour ZAP will not work?
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2006, 06:02 AM
    To be honest I don't know what a Colour ZAP is?

May 19, 2006, 06:07 AM
    I believe it is a product that removes all hair dyes from hair (leaving it a brassy colour apparently), I have only just heard of it by looking on this forum.
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2006, 06:09 AM
    I don't know.
    If its bleech don't mess with it
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Best person to ask is Prettynpetite1 - she is our hair & beauty expert - she will know what to do and how best to go about dying your hair from black o Brown. May I suggest you browse the hair & Beauty section - you may find the answer there as I am sure it has been asked before!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

May 30, 2006, 11:58 PM
    I recommend that you use a hair color remover. You can use Loreal Color Zap or Loreal Effasol Color Remover. They are designed to wash away permanent hair color, leaving hair ready for re-coloring. It is very hard to get out black dye completely. You will need to use 2 or more applications to remove all the dye from the hair. You may also have to use bleach to lighten your hair. Keep in mind that hair color removers or bleach can make your hair look raw and brassy, and you will need to re-color it. So when you're done stripping the color, you can apply the hair color you want.
    xxbeefyxx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 07:26 AM
    The other day I went into the hairdressers and they addvised me not 2 strip my hair as it could ruin it because I dyed my hair black and I now hate it because its boring so what they told me to do is highlight it they said I may have 2 ddo it a couple of imes before it goes the colou I want and they also said that it would be a lot cheaper than having it stripped
    Bree83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Heeey! Well okay I'm sorry to hear your having such troubles with gettign the black out.. I am 13 years old and I started dying my hair when I was around 11.. my natural colour is a med brown . At first I dyed it blonde and brownish red and darker brown tones.. then I decided to dyed it JET BLACK:| worst mistake of my life. It is so hard to get out... I went to a salon and they strpied it and gave it highlits and after sitting in the salon chair for 5 hours.. it was finally out . Then a few months later I wanted to dye it light brown and just my luck it turned out jet black again! I don't have the money to go out and get it profeshionaly done again but I have found that washing it with dishsaop and using a verrry deep conditionrer after has really helped lighten it A lot now it is a dark brown
    erinesangster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by selfishways
    Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it.

I naturally have dark brown hair. I then dyed my hair a tinted red colour which looked pretty cool. I then decided to dye it black (permanent) nearly 2 months ago, which I got bored of quickly (was meant to be a blue black, but the blue quickly went).

I want to dye my hair again back to brown. Is there any way of doing? I really would prefer to do it myself rather than go to a salon.

x

Well I have dark blond hair with a little red and I tried to dye my hair brown and it turned out midnight black.. I cryed.. so from there I dyed it light brown but it didn't help so I tried golden blond and now my hair is a lighter brown with a bit of red.. I figure next week ill dye my hair another blond color and it should turn out the way I want or close to it.. ive been dyeing may hair for years.. and I don't care what anyone says.. u don't have to strip your hair or go to a hairdresser.. so if you just go really blond it might turn red.. but that's OK.. just wait a week and then buy a light brown and it should take the red out and your hair will be a brown.. I never take anyone's advice and I'm glad I didn't cause to have ruff hair right now from bleaching... it would suck... so if go 2 Facebook... if you have one... and look up my name... Howard Erin Sangster.. u will be able to see my results on my hair.. the very black and the now.. HOPE I HELPED
    Nice1 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 07:14 AM

x
    Black is actually the worst hair color anyone can choose because it is a hassle to get it out. You have to bleach your hair. There is no going around it, it doesn't matter how pretty they put it bleach will be the most important ingredient in whatever product they refer you to. There are dyes by Clairol that have booster in it. Boosters actually do work. They are blond hair dyes with boosters to make the hair lightest possible. With me, I feared the 100% potent bleach because I lost my hair twice because of it. If you want to take it that professional, then you got your answer a professional. Make sure you find the right person, a person that it is a professional. If you choose to do it at home, try finding Miss Clairol's dyes with booster. Any dye with a booster in it will help lighten your hair. Remember is not like if you want to go blond. You just want to kill that black. The less you lighten, the less damage you will cause. Buy lightest brown color dye, so that you can put it after processing the black out. You have to be infront of a mirror at all times, so that you can monitor the process, onces it turns at least medium brown take it off. Once it is no longer black, then you can take it out. Wash and condition your hair. Buy yourself a nice hair treatment with shine and things like that. Your hair will need it because bleach tends to leave your hair dull and brittle. Even if you are going to dye your hair right away, make sure you wash your hair thoroughly. Once hair is clean, put on the nice dye, wash again and condition. Remember there might be a second time to redye your hair with that color you really liked, just to give it that final touch. Finally put on a your 30 minutes hair treatment. Now you are ready to go. Try buying infusion 23 so that you can use it for your hair often. Best of luck!!
    cedwick Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 06:55 AM

x
    WEll I do not believe in using hair color removal, bleach or any other similar products, unless it is on small sections for highlights. My advice is to avoid this a long as you can stand your hair color. There are other alternatives which can ease you along the way on the road of your hair fading. Since you simply want any brown, you have a good chance in recovering your hair back to a color you can tolerate. Are you sure you are dark brown? Many people thinnk they are darker than what they are. If your complexion is light or dark, this could be true. If it is medium, your hair is probably more medium brown. A swach at the hair salon will match your roots (if you have any now) to your natural shade. Your shade is one shade darker than that. So assuming you want, lets say medium brown, to give you more of a difference from black. USe a regular permanent, NOT for lifting or for bleach in medium natural brown. At least 24 hours later use a semi-perm in MEdium ash brown. The ash is essential, I think. It will give you a natural shade. Continue the semi-perm color about every three weeks as long as you are not happy with your base. Eventually, the tone of the perm you used under neath, will come through to a nice, medium brown shade. The way I suggest ensures no way of having ugly hair colors in between each stage of fixing your hair color, and I believe in this concept. Good luck
    x-lil-miss-gem-x Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jan 26, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Id say the best way to obtain a brown shade from black hair is to bleach it first. Just to take it light enough for the brown dye to take effect.
    However you need to remember bleached hair takes colour more strongly than natural hair so you might want to try a lighter shade of brown than desired just in case. X
    Kari De Sexi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 08:33 AM
    I had dyed black hair for 2 and a haf years an decided to make it brown about a month ago!i used head and shoulders shampoo and conditioner for about 2 weeks an it faded the colour out a lot.
    Den i bought a Boots Prelightener.Any pre lightener wud work because dat was a real cheap 1!

Just put in the prelightener and (i left it for just over a haf hour ya mite wana leav it 4 longer if u want a lght colour) my hair went ginger!i put a deep brown colour over it and it came out deep brown wit reddie/light brown tones!i really like it!

Id askd a lot of hairdressers and they all said it wudnt work but it did and its gr8!
    Sammy68 Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Jan 28, 2008, 11:49 AM
    I recently dyed my hair what I thought was a medium brown. Well, needless to say, it turned very dark brown with black ends. I am trying to grow my hair out so the last thing I wanted to do was strip the color out which causes a lot of damage and can make the hair very brassy.
    I let the color gradually fade on it's own, which it did, but very slightly. I re-touched my roots with a level lighter hair color which blended wonderfully with the rest of the hair. Do not put anymore color on the rest of the hair, because the hair will just absorb the color and turn murky and/or darker or perhaps another strange tone.
    I went to the salon and had my hair highlighted with different subtle shades of carmel, dark honey and the overall effect lightened my hair of course, with minimal damage, and it actually looks very nice! I ended up with medium brown hair, no strange undertones, virtually no damage and a lot of shine.
    KD09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 08:04 PM
    I dyed my hair a darker brown about a month ago. It turned out black at first, now its more of the darker brown as I wanted. Now, I want my hair to be lighter. I've tried dying it lighter browns, but all it did was dye my roots. It doesn't look bad, I'm just going for a lighter brown. I read about Prell shampoo, and I have used it. I think some color washed out because the water was black. I want to know, how long I will have to use prell, or if there's anything else that'll help speed up the fading?
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jun 20, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Kd09... I am a hair stylist... speeding up the fading is possible, but it sounds like you went pretty dark and there is no easy answer. You can try a clarifying shampoo mixed with a tablespoon of baking soda to make a paste, leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse. This doesn't work overnight but will help if you give it time. Make sure to condition really well because it will leave it feeling gross. If you decide you can't wait and want to strip it let me know and I'd be glad to walk you through it.
    KD09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn4094u
    kd09...i am a hair stylist....speeding up the fading is possible, but it sounds like you went pretty dark and there is no easy answer. you can try a clarifying shampoo mixed with a tablespoon of baking soda to make a paste, leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse. this doesn't work overnight but will help if you give it time. make sure to condition really well because it will leave it feeling gross. if you decide you can't wait and want to strip it let me know and i'd be glad to walk you through it.
    I've read about loreal color zap, and I heard that it takes out all the dye but some said it left the top of their head orange? How bad will it damage your hair, and if I dye after using it, will the color take okay?
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jun 23, 2008, 09:17 PM
    I don't know because that is an over the counter product I've never used... I only use the professional products... I can tell you that any product that acts as a lightener similar to bleach will leave you with a funky color, especially at the scalp because that area has not been colored as much as the midshaft and ends... no matter which one you choose you will have to re color to counteract the tones and hues left... it won't take you back to where you were before no matter what you do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black Hair [ 8 Answers ]

I have long, thick, curly hair, which is naturally a honey blonde colour. I've had it black for the past 2 years or so, and I've decided I'd really like something different. Basically, I would like to have the top half of my hair still black, and the bottom half an electric blue or hot pink...

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

Blonde highlights with dark brown hair [ 6 Answers ]

I just got my hair highlighted blonde/gold today but it's not as subtle as I had hoped. How do I make it fade to a more subtle color as quickly as possible without returning to the salon? Would Prell work?

From black to brown hair again [ 3 Answers ]

Which is more effective, Colorfix or Color Zap and which is more gentle to the hair? Thanks, Maureen :confused:

I want to dye the underneath of my hair brown... [ 3 Answers ]

I want to dye the underneath of my hair dark brown and keep the top blonde. I have no idea how to do this. Do I make a straight line underneath and dye that or is it more specific than that?? I have layers in my so I am not sure where to do the dye. Any help would be great.

View more questions Search