Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaitie-93 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Did you just use normal dishsoap? Because I just dyed my brown hair black 2 days ago... and I HATE it and I need it out now! I need help.. help me!! :(:(:(:(
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Aug 31, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Use a clarifying shampoo, which removes impurities from the hair. After you mix the shampoo with the baking soda and apply it, you can put on a plastic cap and use the heat of your hair dryer to help. This is not a quick fix, it will only lighten a little at a time but is the best way to remove as much of the color as possible before deciding to strip it, get highlights to lighten it up, or re color...
    diamonddubai Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Hi!

I have the same problem actually... I dyed my hair with normal chemical color in a darkbrown shade - but its more into black. I want to go back to a nice chocolate-/castana brown.

Can I use the baking soda/shampoo thing several times a week or will it harm my hair? How about the quantity? Can I use more than 1 tablespoon? My hair is very long - up to my hips - so I think 1 tablespoon will be too less...

Cheers!
    diamonddubai

Sep 4, 2008, 08:47 PM
    diamonddubai... yes, you can do it several times a week, but it does tend to make your hair feel dry like straw, so invest in a good conditioning treatment to do in between. My favorite is Redken's Extreme reconstructor, or the Joico reconstructing conditioner. And, yea, use a lot more shampoo and baking soda because you have a lot of hair... good luck!
    diamonddubai Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Thanks jenn for your answer! Can't wait to get rid of this hair color. Was just wondering if it's a must to buy baking soda. I used baking powder (foster clark's) and this has sodium bicarbonate e500. What you think? Baking soda would be better? Yeah, today I will go for nice conditioner shopping :-)

Sep 5, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Yes, baking soda. It's like $.75 a box...
    annwong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 09:16 PM
    ITS POSSIBLE! Even at home. I just dyed my hair BLACK as in JET BLACK last week. It was horrible. I looked like a gothic girl. I went to the salon to ask and they said it wouls cost me $100(singapore dollars) to get it back to brown. It was too expensive so I started reading forums and all said I had to go to the salon or I have to bleach it first! I was so disappointed. So one day I went to the drugstore and saw LOREAL FERIS COLOR BOOSTER series. It promise to lighten the darkest hair(although I didn't knmow they meant natural dark or dyed dark). But anw I decided to try my luck. I couldn't wait for at least 2 weeks . So I dyed my hair using the P10 cool chestnut brown. And guess what? I'm brown again! It is v noticeable in the sun and a dark brown indoors. However it has this tiny red undertone to it. It doesn't matter. Because I got rid of my black hair!:)
    Mia_x Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 05:38 PM

I really really need some help as I'm so confused with all the replys I've been reading on different websites lol!

I have been dying my hair for a couple of years now and I'm now a dark brown, few months ago I put a reddish brown on my hair and decided to put some blonde chunks through as well. Where I bleached it so much it did eventually start to break off so I dyed my hair dark brown all over again.
    Ive now got to the point where I want to gradually get my hair to a dirty ash blonde as I had this colour few years ago and recently saw photos of me when it was this colour and loved it.
    How do I go about starting this process? What will mixing peroxide with shampoo do?
    I live in the UK and I'm a student so I don't have enough money to go to a salon

Please help
    :)
    JESYIE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Im not answering a question I have a question and I don't know where else to post it. I have black hair that I just dyed about 4-5 days ago. And I want to dye it blonde on top and like a darkish brown on the bottom but I don't know how to fade the color fast enough. So do you have any answers for me?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2009, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JESYIE View Post
    I'm not answering a question i have a question and i dont know where else to post it. i have black hair that i just dyed about 4-5 days ago. And i want to dye it blonde on top and like a darkish brown on the bottom but i dont know how to fade the color fast enough. So do you have any answers for me?
    When you have a new question, it's best to start a new main thread.

Use a reducing-type color remover (ColorFix, Color Zap, Color Oops, Igora Phantom, Color Charm Color Corrector) to get out the black. You may need (probably will need) more than one application of color remover. After that, you have to decide whether it needs to be bleached to get it as light as you want, or whether you can dye it directly. Hair dyes only lighten 2 or 3 levels (at most). Bleach can lighten 7 levels or more. Black to light blonde is 10 levels.

The above-mentioned color removers are not bleaches. In fact, they're the opposites of bleaches. Bleaches are oxidizing agents. These are reducing agents (aka anti-oxidants). Here is a site with instructions for colorfix.

ColorFix instructions - Robert Craig Salon Products, Ltd.

You can also Google "Color Zap Instructions" or "Color Oops Instructions".
    smashleeeey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Well I just dyed my hair dark chocolate brown,it turned out black because I left the dye in too long.I tried the dish soap thing and the silver shampoo but that didn't work.what I think I'm going to do to fix my hair is dye my hair with a light brown mabe even 2,then waight a week or so then dye it a bit darker,and definitely not leave the dye in 4 more than the box says to,and also when your buying the dye make sure you cheak the side of the box,I'm sure you know this already but it will show you what colour your hair will be in the end dapending on what colour your hair is,I found that nice and easy in a wihte box workes really good because its not a cream and it comes with a condishiner in a blue bottle,it makes your hair feel so healthy,shinny,soft,not greasy,not dry,and before I dyed it,my hair was really frizzy and dry,it only took like just more than 10 min to straighten my hair,it took like 40 min before I used that conditioner,and remember when your dyeing your hair darker leave it in 4 what ever the box says but if your dyeing it lighter double the time unless it feels uncomfortableive wasted soooo much money on dye,but whatever you do don't bleach it,your hair will be soooooo damaged!!
    hippy96 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2009, 01:23 AM
    If your planning on going black and already have dark hair or light hair, I would recommend buying a cheap dye.
    I naturally have light brown hair and wanted to dye it black so I bought the cheapest one and it lightened up and back to my natural color with in a month or two, without the skunk look.
    It gave me a chance to experiment with my looks with out too much damage. But I would recommend a soft black jet black can damage your hair.
    baffy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by erinesangster View Post
    well i have dark blond hair with a little red and i tryed to dye my hair brown and it turned out midnight black..i cryed..so from there i dyed it light brown but it didnt help so i tryed golden blond and now my hair is a lighter brown with a bit of red..i figure next week ill dye my hair another blond color and it should turn out the way i want or close to it..ive been dyeing may hair for years..and i dont care what anyone says ..u dont have to strip ur hair or go to a hairdresser..so if u just go really blond it might turn red..but thats ok..just wait a week and then buy a light brown and it should take the red out and ur hair will be a brown..i never take anyones advice and im glad i didnt cause to have ruff hair right now from bleaching ....it would suck... so if go 2 facebook... if u have one ...and look up my name ...Howard Erin Sangster..u will be able to see my results on my hair..the very black and the now..HOPE I HELPED
    I went to look at your page... Calgary, right? I can't look at anything on your page; and there is no button to send you a message or add you... :(
    claireiopia Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 05:04 AM

You really want to go to a salon to get it out. Otherweise you may end up accidentally bleaching your hair!
    laurensaur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 10:33 AM
    Hey :) I'm currently in the same situation, what I've been doing for the past 6 months I've been bored with my black hair is dying the roots chocolate brown when they come in, don't dye the rest of your hair.. just the roots, and yes it does look a little funny but hardly noticeable. When my chocolate brown color is long enough I'm going to cut the black off. This could take a long time and commitment, but it's worth it to not damage your hair...
    (This is only if you don't want to go to the salon.)
    If you don't want to do it this way, then def. go to the salon before you ruin your hair.
    dayhana074 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2010, 01:09 PM
    Hi I dyed my hair black and ended up not liking it. I used colorzap from loreal and it did turn my hair a bit redish and brassy but I was able to dye it right after medium light brown and the red and brassiness went away and my hair turned out great :)
    mami7986 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 08:37 PM
    Someone PLEASE help I dyed my hair black and my hair is naturally brown. Well I don't like the black at all and I tried to dye it dark brown last night and it didn't work and my sons Birthday party is in 2 days!! CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE!!
    MirandaTheLoser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 04:24 PM
    I naturally have a medium brown hair color. I thought black would look really good on me, but my parents wouldn't let me dye it black, ANY other color but black. So, when I told my parents I was going to dye my hair dark brown they said okay and took me to the store. I grabbed a black hair dye box without my mom knowing, bought it, and went home and dyed it. WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. I told my parents I accidentally grabbed the wrong box without looking, they believed it, but I HATE my hair now and I don't know what to do... I've finally got my hair soft and alive again but it's still black. I don't want my hair to die again so I'm going to have to wait until my hair grows back out and is it's natural color again...
    mcmurrayjade Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 10:22 AM
    My hair is naturally a medium brown,I have died it ever since I was 12,I have been blonde,brown,red,purple,ginger and BLACK! And worse of all black,I am now 15 and last christmas when I was 14,this was when I died my hair black! I hated it sooo sooo much and just wanted to get it out but my mum wasn't so keen on paying salon prices. I was going to strip it,but that's quite expensive and also my hair is very long and because it damages your hair your hairdressers adivise you to cut at least 2 inches off it, I didn't want any length of it :-( Anyway,in May I decided it was time to at least attempt to do something about it! So with huge roots I went to the hairdressers and showed her the ash brown colour that I wanted. She said she could get me to that colour,but gradually. So I agreed. She first did a full head of highlights with foils which lifted the colour and made the whole head look a chocolate browny colour. Then the next time I went she did another full head of highlights and that lifted it to almost the colour I wanted but it still had some dark into it. So the next time I asked for more blonde. This resulted in it going much more blonde than I wanted. But I lived with it for six weeks. Then went to get it again and got lowlights put through it so it was just about right again! But then I decided I wanted it darker but instead of having lowlights I wanted it to be an all over colour! Just an all over colour of light brown. So I asked and she said she couldn't do it as it would turn green,what she could do was turn it into a dark to medium brown.. so she did it. And it turned into the DARKEST brown possible,in fact in my eyes its black! It may as well, be. So after paying £25 pounds a time,I'm back to where I started from!! Wish I'd of never died my hair x
    happylilsqueak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2011, 01:33 PM
    I have had Jet Black hair and to go a dirty blonde I bleached it twice a week then used a medium brown hair dye. Had it deep conditioned then started the process again until I got to the colour that I wanted.
    I'm not suggesting that this is ideal it's just how I did it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black Hair [ 8 Answers ]

I have long, thick, curly hair, which is naturally a honey blonde colour. I've had it black for the past 2 years or so, and I've decided I'd really like something different. Basically, I would like to have the top half of my hair still black, and the bottom half an electric blue or hot pink...

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

Blonde highlights with dark brown hair [ 6 Answers ]

I just got my hair highlighted blonde/gold today but it's not as subtle as I had hoped. How do I make it fade to a more subtle color as quickly as possible without returning to the salon? Would Prell work?

From black to brown hair again [ 3 Answers ]

Which is more effective, Colorfix or Color Zap and which is more gentle to the hair? Thanks, Maureen :confused:

I want to dye the underneath of my hair brown... [ 3 Answers ]

I want to dye the underneath of my hair dark brown and keep the top blonde. I have no idea how to do this. Do I make a straight line underneath and dye that or is it more specific than that?? I have layers in my so I am not sure where to do the dye. Any help would be great.

View more questions Search