Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    travisfromlargo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Algebraic Proofs
    how do I do this?

Fill in the missing information in this Algebraic proof.

Two lines intersect. Angle 1 equals ( 3x + 20) . Angle 2 = (5x - 16) , Angles 1 and 3 are vertical angles.

The measure of angle 1 = the measure of angle 3. (Vertical Angles are Congruent)

a.) _____ = (5x - 16) (Substitution)

b.) -2x + 20 = _____ (Subtraction Prop. Of Equality)

c.) -2x = _____ (Subtraction Prop. Of Equality)

d.) x = _____ (Division Prop. Of Equality
    hcbowman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Hi Travis. I think there's a typo somewhere in your post, but maybe we can still make some progress.

Fill in the missing information in this Algebraic proof.

Two lines intersect. Angle 1 equals ( 3x + 20) . Angle 2 = (5x - 16) , Angles 1 and 3 are vertical angles.

The measure of angle 1 = the measure of angle 3. (Vertical Angles are Congruent)
    I'm pretty sure what's meant here is that "Angle 3 = (5x -16)" because otherwise the relationship between the angles isn't clear. Let me assume that something got munged and go with that.

This problem may be easier if you draw a picture. Draw one line however you want. Draw the second line so that it crosses the first. Since the angles are vertical ("diagonal" from one another -- you have to cross both lines to get from one to the other), choose two such angles on your picture and label them. If this is confusing, choose any angle as number one and go clockwise 1,2,3 and 4. Angles 1 and 3 are vertical.

So... They tell you that angle 1 and angle 3 have the same measure. They write out the equation given in the last line I quoted above. That's where you start:

Angle 1 = Angle 3

To get to the second step:

a.) _____ = (5x - 16) (Substitution)
    they tell you they used substitution. What did they substitute? Notice that Angle 3 got replaced with (5x - 16) because you were given Angle 3 = (5x - 16). What do you think Angle 1 gets replaced by? Look carefully at the given information. What do you know about Angle 1?

To get to the third step:

b.) -2x + 20 = _____ (Subtraction Prop. Of Equality)
    you have to subtract something from both sides. Take a look at your "a" step. What is on the left hand side? What do you have to subtract from that to get "-2x + 20"? Subtract the same thing from "5x - 16" to get the term on the right for b.

To get to the fourth step:

c.) -2x = _____ (Subtraction Prop. Of Equality)
    you have to subtract something different from both sides. What's different between "b" and "c" is the "20." If you subtract 20 from the left of "b", you'll get the left of "c." Because you have to do the same thing on the right, subtract 20 from your answer for the right side of "b" to get your answer to "c."

Finally, to get to the fifth step:

d.) x = _____ (Division Prop. Of Equality
    you're going to divide both sides by the same thing. How do you get from "-2x" to "x"? Well, what if you divide by "-2"? Do the same thing to the right side of step four to get your final answer.

SPOILER:

As a check, I got "x = 18" for the final answer.
    weenyyy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 05:36 PM
    Umm. Saying that angle three is a vertical to 1 make perfect sense. Because that means that angle 1 is congruent to angle 3 by ruleof verticalitaztion or something like that. Just go on yourteacher.com The people on this site don't know ****
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2010, 10:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by weenyyy View Post
    umm. saying that angle three is a vertical to 1 make perfect sense. cus that means that angle 1 is congruent to angle 3 by ruleof verticalitaztion or something like that. just go on yourteacher.com The people on this site dont know ****
    You don't know what you're talking about and you're saying that the people on this site don't know? How rude of you! hcbowman gave a good answer. Otherwise, point out what is not true.

In case you didn't notice, hcbowman didn't say that angle 3 is not vertical to angle 1, nor that the two angles are not congruent. He only said that the OP made a typo in writing the question, where

'Angle 2 = (5x - 16)' should be 'Angle 3 = (5x - 16)' instead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

(Calculus) Epsilon Delta Proofs [ 3 Answers ]

Use the Epsilon-Delta definition to prove the limit is L. lim (4x+9)=21 x-> 3

Verifying Trig Proofs [ 1 Answers ]

Csc X - Sin X= (cot X)(cos) Solve Please Show Me Step By Step

Proofs? Identities? [ 4 Answers ]

Some one teach me precal I can't do any of this. Prove the identity: (cosx)(tanx+sinxcotx)=sinx+cos^2x (thats cos squared times x)

Algebraic expression [ 16 Answers ]

The Brickhouse I am building is 6 feet longer than it is wide. Write an algebraic expression for the perimeter if the length is expressed as x. If x equals 20, what is the perimeter?

Epsilon delta proofs [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone prove the following: Lim * * x^3=8 X->2

View more questions Search