Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    constantrepairs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Lack of well water pressure
    Please help! I am trying to determine why I am not reaching cut-off water pressure on my home well system. The pump is running constantly, but the pressure only reaches 28psi. Since the cut-off pressure is not reached, the pump continues to run. The pressure tank has NO water in it but I am assuming that is the case because there is not enough pressure in the line to overcome the preset pressure in the tank. Here is what I have done so far to fix the problem.

(1) Replaced pressure gauge. No impact.
    (2) Replaced pressure switch. No impact.
    (3) Confirmed pressure tank air pressure. No impact.
    (4) Confirmed pressure in line by closing house valve and then turning off power to the pump. Pressure stays at 28psi for 15 minutes. No impact.

Any thoughts? Am I understanding how the pressure tank should work (the pressure from the well pump must be greater than the preset pressure in the tank)? Should I replace the pressure tank next?

I am trying to avoid pulling pump because the well is over 200ft. I do not know the age of the pump, but I would guess over 10 years old. Any advice?
    Twinkey30 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 05:49 PM

Try draining the tank!
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Sep 23, 2008, 06:58 PM

What kind of pump do you have? A deep well jet, or submersible? If it is a submersible, it could be the control box. If it is submersible, and no control box. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you probably have a bad pump.
    Al
    Twinkey30 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 01:19 AM

I'm sorry I didn't ask the question, I was telling the guy above to drain his tank.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2008, 04:20 AM
    Do you have a pressure or a bladder tank. If a bladder tank is it charged ( when the pump's off and the pressure bled down) at 2 PSI under the cut in point of the pump?
    I believe that's what Twinky was getting around to asking. Regards,Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2008, 04:23 PM

I don't think the tank is the problem with the pump not cutting off, although the tank might have problems. It is more likely one of four things:
    1. A submerged pump with a leak in the well pipe.
    2. A jet pump with a leak in the suction part of the well pipe.
    3. As Al said, a failing pump.
    4. A falling water table, although that is not the likely culprit in your case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lack of hot water pressure in kitchin [ 2 Answers ]

I have no water pressure at my kitchin sink hot water tap, my bathroom hot taps water pressure is strong, my bathroom is downstairs too! Not sure where to start looking for the problem. Cold water pressure is also fine. Thanks sully1

Lack of Water Pressure [ 5 Answers ]

I am on a well system and have not had much water pressure in my house for some time. My well is 600ft deep and has a 2 HP pump. I have a relatively new pressure tank. My problem is that when I turn on any water outlet it nearly kills all of the pressure at any other outlet in or around the...

Lack of hot water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have pretty much no hot water pressure in my spare bathroom shower. The shower hasn't been used for a while, and I am wandering if there is anyway something plugged up over time. If so how do you get it unplugged. My shower is just one individual nob. I have a lot of pressure at the sink and...

Lack of water pressure in shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - we changed the diverter in the tub/shower and thought that would take care of the lack of water pressure - there is VERY LITTLE water pressure coming out of the shower head. What could be the problem. The plumbing fixtures are Price Pfister and the house was built in 1995. Up until about 2...

Water Pressure or lack of! [ 1 Answers ]

Help, We live in a rural area with a artisian well. The well is located approx 30feet down hill from the house and about 125 feet away. There is a new shallow well pump and a new air tank(bladder type) in the well house. We have teriible water pressure and I realize that due to static line loss it...

View more questions Search