Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    umdman11 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2006, 12:43 AM
    Concerns with circuit overload because of bathroom remodeling
    I’m in the process of remodeling my basement bathroom and have hit a road-block with the wiring. Here are my questions.
    • Before I started my basement bathroom remodel, the only thing that was wired in the bathroom was a vanity light from a 15A circuit. This circuit is shared with the upstairs bathroom, 1.5 bedrooms and a hallway for a total of (10 lights & 7 outlets). I’m guessing this circuit is probably overloaded (not sure by how much?).
    • How many total outlets and light fixtures can be on a 15A circuit (rule of thumb)?
    • How many for a 20A?
    • With my circuit most likely being overloaded, and me eventually going to be adding some more inputs to the circuit, I’m guessing the bathroom should be on its own circuit?
    • If that’s the case, then I would move the vanity light (x3 lights) off its current circuit and add it to the new basement bath circuit, which will now include a (GFI outlet & ceiling fan/light). Would a 15A circuit support all the bathroom items I listed? How about a 20A?
    • If I didn’t create a new circuit and wanted to tap into an existing lower utilized 15A circuit (or 14g wire) where the circuit is running from the fuse box to a junction box. Can I tap into the junction box with 12g wire to add a light fixture, outlet, and/or ceiling fan? Or is there a problem with connecting two different gauges of wires?
    • I’m trying to add up all the items on my circuit and wasn’t sure about a few items and how many watts they use.
    o Bathroom ceiling fan = ?
    o Sump-pump=?
    o Refrig =?
    o Furnace =?
    o Microwave =?
    o Hair Dryer=?
    o Computer=?
    o TV/Stereo=?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 19, 2006, 02:47 AM
    Bathrooms now require a 20 amp circuit for the receptacle that must be at the sink. If the circuit is only for that one bathroom, the lights and fan in the bathroom may be on the same circuit. The outlet must be GFI, the lights and fan, unless over the tub or shower, does not need to be GFI protected.

There is no maximum limit to the quantity of general purpose receptacles or lighting outlets on circuits in a residential application. The rule of thumb that is popular comes from the code for commercial requirements. 8 receptacles on a 15 amp circuit, and 10 on a 20 amp circuit. This can be used in residential as a guide.

Each one of your appliances has a nameplate that lists the load in amps or watts. I can tell you that a microwave needs it's own circuit. A furnace may not need it's own but every furnace I wire gets it's own circuit. Same with a refrigerator.

There is no problem extending a 15 amp circuit that's uses #14 wire with #12 wire, the circuit is still only rated for 15 amp.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concern about circuit panel overload [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in a process of adding a full bath and have a few concerns that I need your help with: #1. I have a 125 Amp circuit panel, and I did some calculation by adding up all the Amps for individual circuit breakers. I came up with: a. On the left hand side, the total of 155 Amps. b....

Bathroom circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am putting a new bathroom in basement and want to know the correct wiring. I will be running a 20 amp circuit with a GFI outlet, vanity lighting, and a small exhaust fan. I want to run the fan and lights on their own switches. Can the GFI and others run off same circuit? If so how do I wire...

Remodeling Bathroom, Need to move drains/vents [ 7 Answers ]

I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom. I am moving all fixtures, toilet, sinks, shower, and jaccuzi. It is on a concrete slab, which I have mostly tore up. I am looking for some help with vents and drains for my new project. I attached a PDF with my proposed fixture layout. I...

Bathroom Circuit around corner? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the middle of a complete remodeling and upgrade of my 80 YO,5' x 9' bathroom. Toilet runs ditect into the 4" vent stack and will remain in the same place. New sink is circuit vented back to the stack and will be moved approx 15" further away from the stack but extending the 2" circuit vent...

Bathroom Vent fan GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

My NuTone fan says that it's UL approved for over shower use when wired with GFCI circuit. Would it be acceptable if I ran the fan power wire first through a plain face (non-outlet, but outlet sized unit) GFCI unit, through the switch and to the fan with nothing else on that circuit? I know that I...

View more questions Search