Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    serenitymantra Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Velocity on an Incline
    Suppose you begin sliding down a 15 degree ski slope. Ignoring air resistance, how fast will you be moving after 10s?

I need help setting it up. Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 01:12 PM

Remember that F=ma. Here F is the force of gravity along a 15 degree incline. If you resolve the force of gravity into components along the slope and perpendicular to the slope, you should be able to see that here F = mg sin(15 deg). So now you can determine its acceleration a. The next step is to apply the equation of motion for a body under constant acceleration to find its velocity at t=10 sec.

Sep 22, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Remember that F=ma. Here F is the force of gravity along a 15 degree incline. If you resolve the force of gravity into components along the slope and perpendicular to the slope, you should be able to see that here F = mg sin(15 deg). So now you can determine its acceleration a. The next step is to apply the equation of motion for a body under constant acceleration to find its velocity at t=10 sec.
    Ma? Mg?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Do you want an answer that also ignores friction as well as air resistance?
    Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by serenitymantra View Post
    ma? mg?
    Oh boy. Given the data you've provided the only way to do this problem is to start with an understanding of Newtons' 3rd Law:

F = ma, or Force = mass time acceleration.

Does this sound familiar? If not, then you'd better go back and read your text book.

Sep 22, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Do you want an answer that also ignores friction as well as air resistance?
    Yes, ignoring both friction and air resistance.

Sep 22, 2008, 02:29 PM
    Oh boy. Given the data you've provided the only way to do this problem is to start with an understanding of Newtons' 3rd Law:

F = ma, or Force = mass time acceleration.

Does this sound familiar? If not, then you'd better go back and read your text book.
    We never talked about force. This is the guy's 1st time teaching, so he's going pretty fast and everyone in this class is lost.

Sep 22, 2008, 02:32 PM
    He is going fast likely out of fear. Ask/tell him to slow down and try to give more examples and visuals. I supervise first year science teachers who graduate from our university with a type 25 teaching certificate. Its very common for them to go too fast, ask for more examples.
    Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 02:33 PM

I suppose you can ignore force if you simply assume that the acceleration along the slope is a = g sin(15 degrees). Here g is the acceleration due to gravity, or 9.8 m/s^2. From this you can determine the velocity after 10 seconds.

Sep 22, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    He is going fast likely out of fear. Ask/tell him to slow down and try to give more examples and visuals. I supervise first year science teachers who graduate from our university with a type 25 teaching certificate. Its very common for them to go too fast, ask for more examples.
    We try. He just looks at us and say.. it's easy guys.. it's not that difficult. I told him I wanted some tutoring from the lab, his response is that 'don't try to hard.'

Sep 22, 2008, 03:17 PM
    I suppose you can ignore force if you simply assume that the acceleration along the slope is a = g sin(15 degrees). Here g is the acceleration due to gravity, or 9.8 m/s^2. From this you can determine the velocity after 10 seconds.
    I did that initially, but I wasn't sure I was on the right track. I ended up with 25.4 m/s.

Sep 22, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Half of us graduated in the top half of our class, the rest did not.
    Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 05:29 AM
    I did that initially, but I wasn't sure I was on the right track. I ended up with 25.4 m/s.
    You got it - 25.4 m/s is correct.
    babybean_06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Suppose you begin sliding down a 15 degree ski slope. Ignoring air resistance, how fast will you be moving after 10s?

I need help setting it up. Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks!
    7m
    brat269 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 12:00 AM

9.8m/s*sin(15) *10
    25m/s
    gertkip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2012, 10:29 AM
    a=+gsin theta
    a=9.8(sin 15)
    a=2.54m/s^2
    however a= change in velocity/time
    velocity=a*time
    2.54*10= 25.4m/s

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Determining the weight at the elevated anchor in an incline [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am wanting someone to check my math and see if I am approaching this problem in the correct manner and obtaining the correct result. I have a rope travelling from an elevated anchor to a ground level anchor. The rope is set at a 30 degree angle and we will assume the rope...

Acceleration on an Incline % Difference [ 2 Answers ]

We are using an incline to find uniformly accelerated motion, what is the equation to find the percent difference/error? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!! :confused:

Sewer Pipe Fall (incline) [ 1 Answers ]

I am putting in a sewer line for my motor home dump which will be 12 ft. from the main sewer and clean out line out of my house and need to know what is the correct fall for a sewer line. Thank You Geeeo.:)

Incline speed [ 7 Answers ]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Two objects are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley, as in Figure P5.26. The incline is frictionless, m1 = 2.00 kg, m2 = 6.00 kg, and = 50.0°. (?) Find the speed of each object 2.00 s after being...

Shower waste incline requirement [ 1 Answers ]

When plumbing a shower waste what is the required incline of the 40mm pipe to reach the soil pipe which is 2.5 m away? I have been told 18mm per 1000mm. My plumber says it needs to be 100mm per 1000mm and is using this as a reason not to plumb through joists. Is there a standards document...

View more questions Search