Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ems4ever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Hippa violation
    I recently had fallen 6 ft and landed on my lower back and had NO feeling in my lower back and legs. I was taken to a local hospital and was placed in a room for 2 hours before the doctor said that I would be going to x-ray. In the x-ray room the tech asked me to move over and I told her that it would take me a few and she cursed and said that she didn't have all day and yanked me across the table. Finished there and she had taken me back to my room when the nurse came in and said that I could go home. Upon discharge, I was not told what was going on or what to do to get better. And I was given someone else's papers and someone has my papers. The hospital wants to sue me for not paying the doctor bill but I don't think I should since I didn't see him. Should I contact the people of HIPPA violations and explain or go to court and fight this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ems4ever View Post
    I recently had fallen 6 ft and landed on my lower back and had NO feeling in my lower back and legs. I was taken to a local hospital and was placed in a room for 2 hours before the doctor said that i would be going to x-ray. In the x-ray room the tech asked me to move over and I told her that it would take me a few and she cursed and said that she didn't have all day and yanked me across the table. finished there and she had taken me back to my room when the nurse came in and said that I could go home. Upon discharge, i was not told what was going on or what to do to get better. And I was given someone else's papers and someone has my papers. The hospital wants to sue me for not paying the doctor bill but i don't think I should since I didn't see him. Should i contact the people of HIPPA violations and explain or go to court and fight this?

These are two different issues - you cannot sue for a HIPAA violation. You can report the hospital and ask that the matter be investigated.

If you don't want to pay the bill then they will sue you and you can defend the lawsuit in Court. You would present your evidence (no medical care) and they will present theirs (perhaps a Doctor read the x-rays) and a Judge will decide.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 04:31 PM

Ok, poor medical service, being cursed by a staff member. Being given medical info of another patient may be ? Depends on what was on the paper.
    And if a doctor reviewed your tests and the such, yes they bill for this. But you fight that in court when they sue you for the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search