Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Stripping of membranes experiences
    Ok, so here's something I have had no experience as of yet. I am aware of the procedure and what it entails etc. However I have never had it done yet. At 39 weeks and around 2 cm (as of last week), my doctor said we could try to strip my membranes at my appointment tomorrow. My sister had hers stripped, by the same doc, and she said it was painful and didn't do anything but give her cramps and spotting, and a week or two later simply ended up having to go through csection. However, this was her first baby, she really wasn't doing much dilating or effacing etc, and had to csection as baby wasn't responding well to the induction medication at the hospital. This being my third baby, I'm more inclined to believe that it would work better perhaps, but I know its pretty much just a 50/50 chance with every individual. SO I am just wanting to hear everyone's experiences and situations they have had in getting their membranes stripped... Any one up for share time? HAHAH
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Have known a good number of women who have had it done... some several times, a few days apart. It works for some, not for others. Some found it not much different from an internal exam, others found it quite uncomfortable. Nothing will work well, even a medical induction, if your body is not ready for labor to begin. However, the more signs of your body preparing for labor, the odds increase it may help.

If it is going to work, it will usually start things off within a day or two. If nothing starts, you can always have it repeated a few days after the first attempt.

Best option would be to just wait and let nature take it's course; saving the membrane sweep for trying to avoid an induction if that starts to be mentioned.

Good luck with whatever decision you make... not much longer now!
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Yea thanks. I've never even been offered this course before, as I've never made any head way on my own with my first had to use cervidil and pitocin to get it going, and with my second I ended up going in on my due date with the full moon(having not progressed at all before that). So this is the first time its even been offered to me. I figure I only have one week before due date, so we'll see. I'm still not sure what I will chose. I guess either way it couldn't hurt to try or not do it either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unexplained experiences [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am new here and I hope you can answer my questions. We lived in a house a few years back that we almost bought but really strange things happened there. Our youngest son, who was about one and a half years old at the time, saw things in this house. You could hear someone come into the...

Cell Membranes [ 4 Answers ]

Can you please confrim for me, "Are cell membranes formed from protein?"

What Were Some f Your Best/Worst Experiences Ever? [ 53 Answers ]

Self explanatory don't you think? What are some of your experiences (recent ør not so recent) that were good, bad and ugly. Experiences with family ør friends ør pets... anything goes:)

Magazine needs your experiences [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, My name is Angela and I write for a teenage girls' magazine in the UK. I am looking to speak to teenage girls aged 14-18 about their paranormal experiences. I am particularly interested in speaking to girls who: Have had an alien encounter Been attacked by a poltergeist Have...

View more questions Search