Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jshook Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Starting Small Business for Tax Relief
    I have only 4 years to retire. My mortgage is paid and have just some Employee Business Expences that I deduct and Property tax . However that will probably not be enough this year for my the usual Schedule A deductions which I deducted interest on mortgage in the past that in the past lower my tax bill.
    I have started a tree nursery and have invested quite a bit of money to start. What do I need to do to make this a legal business so I can deduct my startup loses during the first year or two?
    This little business will hopefully be my extra income after retirement.
    Thank you in advance.

jshook
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 09:59 AM
    If you are receiving income from the business, it has met all the requirements for being a "legal" business in the eyes of the IRS. There is no IRS requirement to have a business license.

Even if you have not received any income, if you are doing all the things that a business would normally do (soliciting customers, advertising, buying business equipment, etc.), then you are in fact running a business and can start deducting expenses on a Schedule C on your tax return.

Now, once you establish your business, the IRS expects you to eventually show a profit. The general rule is that a profit must be shown in three of the first five years of business. However, that rule is NOT edged in stone.

Many businesses experience heavy competition and require a number of years before they show a profit. As long as you are conducting your business as a business and are making progress towards the profit goal, the IRS will probably not challenge your deductions.

Show too many years without a profit, however, and the IRS may rule that your "business" is in fact a hobby and then will disallow your losses all the way back to your first tax return. That is NOT a pleasant experience!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a small business [ 4 Answers ]

HI Q: I wanted to start an ice-cream parlour I really don't have any idea, we are three partners we don't know what would be the investment and how do we go for it?

Starting Small Business [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am starting a mobile oil changing business here in Spartanburg, SC where I go to the customer and change their vehicle's motor oil. I have several questions. First, Do I need a business license and if so what kind? Second, Do I need a federal tax ID number? And third, What...

Starting a small business [ 3 Answers ]

Where would I find help with writing and presenting a business plan to start a small trucking company?

Starting a small business [ 1 Answers ]

Am Interested In Starting A Small Painting Company For Myself And My Family But Am Not Sure How Or Where To Begin I Have Worked For The Same Company For A Very Long Time But It Is Time For A Change.

View more questions Search