Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jayne Pikalek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Is there compensation for a caregiver?
    My elderly and disabled mother is moving in with my family, am I eligible for any compensation from the city, state, or government for her care? I live in Milwaukee, WI and I do not know where to start looking for information. I tried the social services website, but got nothing. If anyone has any info, I would really appriciate the help.

Thank You

Jayne Pikalek
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 07:18 AM

Well, if you meet the definition of supplying over 1/2 of her support, you should be able to claim her as a dependent on your taxes.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 04:28 AM
    You can't be compensated on a month to month basis for care of your mother, but keepitsimple is correct, if you have a good accountant, he can find many ways to compensate you on your income tax.

I took care of my mom for 7 years before she died, and my compensation was within the income tax allotments.

I know what you are going through, there are many ways for money to go when caring for an elderly parent. I gaveup my job and lost a lot of income over those seven years but was the only way I could keep her with me.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 05:13 AM
    You can't be compensated on a month to month basis for care of your mother, but keepitsimple is correct, if you have a good accountant, he can find many ways to compensate you on your income tax.

I took care of my mom for 7 years before she died, and my compensation was within the income tax allotments.

I know what you are going through, there are many ways for money to go when caring for an elderly parent. I gaveup my job and lost a lot of income over those seven years but was the only way I could keep her with me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 08:19 AM

The state will not pay a family member for them keeping another family member. They will often pay for a outside licensed agency approved by the state to send someone in to assist with certain activities.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 08:54 AM

Doesn't she have social security income that she can help you with?
    Does she own a house she could possibly get a reverse mortgage on?
    She may qualify for Medicaid assistance at a nursing home if she meets the criteria.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caregiver compensation [ 7 Answers ]

Since 2000 I have overseen my elderly mother's care. She is completely dependent on me. Have moved her more than once a year as she declined, bring her to my home a full day each week, take care of all dr appts etc, do finances. My sis, who lives in another state does not contribute or visit. In...

Caregiver forms [ 1 Answers ]

My child is not living with me at the moment. She is living with my aunt. Iam going through some rough times at the moment and do not want her to go through it as well. This stay is temporary, and She is supposed to start school this week but cannot because my aunts district school is not accepting...

Can a caregiver run a blog? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm a live-in caregiver. I just started a personal blog and a friend of mine told me I can register and put adsense to generate income out of it. I'm restricted to only one employer.

Compensation [ 3 Answers ]

I am a full-time caregiver for my 82 year old mother, is there any compensate from the government, hud or any other program out there I can turn to for help with this. Trisha

Removing a caregiver out of your home [ 2 Answers ]

I am the caregiver to my mother in my home. I have hired a woman to help with my mothers care in exchange for free room and board. She has been here for 2 months and it is not working out. She was not honest in her interview about her habits, and continues to break rules that were talked about. ...

View more questions Search