Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwhitlaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Roof damage claim
    I have wind caused roof damage on half of the slopes of my home. I have replacement or repair policy, but my roof shingles are no longer available. The roof is 10 years old. The shingle manufacture is no longer in business. What can I expect from an insurance adjuster when he inspects my damage?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhitlaw View Post
    i have wind caused roof damage on half of the slopes of my home. i have replacement or repair policy, but my roof shingles are no longer available. the roof is 10 years old. the shingle manufacture is no longer in business. what can i expect from an insurance adjuster when he inspects my damage?

A lot is going to depend on your policy and your relationship with the insurance company. I had storm damage to the gutters on my house 2 years ago and the company replaced ALL the gutters and downspouts. My neighbor had the same coverage, pretty much the same damage - and her company replaced only the damaged sections.

If you don't think you are getting what your policy requires (replacement or repair, that's the language) hire an independent adjuster. They work miracles.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Judy is totally correct, coverge will vary depending on the company so be very nice to their adjuster. They are not usually obligated to replace an entire roof when only one side is damaged. When the adjuster comes make sure he/she is aware of your concern about shingles matching. You should not have to settle for a repair that looks patched, they need to make you whole but not better.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 01:35 PM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    jwhitlaw agrees: it is a good ans. i was hoping to find out if adjusters use guidelines..[/QUOTE]

I also think a good argument can be made for half of the roof already blowing away and maybe the other half will blow away next time so maybe the whole roof should be replaced - said kindly, with a smile.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Good point, some adjuster will actually go for that. My big willow lost its top half in a tornado and landed 15' over the line stuck in my neighbors garage roof like a pitch fork. I called my insurance, they told me the tree left my property, and their obligation, by an act of God and was now my neighbors property and responsibility. His company agreed and gave him cash for a whole new roof even though only on slope was damage. Of course he then promptly hired me to replace 3 sheets of ply and 4 squares of shingles. All on the up and up according to his adjuster.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 04:09 PM

Also many of the larger roofing companies have their own inspectors who often meet with and help show the adjustor why it needs to be replaced

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this Roof Damage Covered? [ 3 Answers ]

Some background: Last summer my Mom's house (in another city) was damaged in a wide spread hail storm area. She noticed dent damage On an aluminum awning and I asked her to call the insurance people to come out and look. They sent out an adjuster Who inspected and told her the...

Roof Damage or improper install? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6yr old roof. It has been through two hail storms. I inspected the roof and noticed the shingles were not flat on the roof. It looked kind of like waves. Could this be caused by hail or wind damage or it this something that was caused by improper installation? I am having the insurance...

Roof damage [ 1 Answers ]

30 days ago we purchases a house, and made our 1st payment this month. Needless to say our rood is pretty much caving in... is there anything we can do? Can we go after the seller? Do anything with our insurance?

$1500 Pet Damage Claim [ 3 Answers ]

After I move-out my landlord decide to change all the carpet (and charge me it about $1500) instead of clean it because there was a small stain that could be cleaned or changed only this small area - the carpet was not new and there was other stains on it (listed at the move-in inspection). He said...

View more questions Search